Clear all

Mic Volume Too Low in Audacity

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've connected an inexpensive PC mic to my PC mic input, and can record through it onto Audacity, but the volume level is far too low.

I have the input level all the way up, and Microphone selected as the input (though it doesn't seem to matter , as it records at the same low level whether I have Microphone or Line In selected).

Increasing the volume level with the slider to the left of the track upon playback isn't satisfactory, as the noise level is so much greater than the desired audio that as I increase the dBs with that slider, I still don't have a usable product (lots of noise and very little audio).

I've gone into the PC's Control Panel and have the Microphone level all the way up and made sure it isn't muted.

I tried to do a GN search in case this has been addressed before, but didn't come up with what I needed.

Anyone have any ideas, or dealt with this problem before?

Thx in advance for any help!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Have you checked that the mic is set to muted on the playback properties and checked as selected in the recording properties of Windows?

Also is your sound card that the microphone is plugged into set as your playback device, again in Windows?

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thx, Bish.

The mic is selected in the recording properties, but was NOT set to mute on playback properties, so I changed that.

Yes, the PC's soundcard is set as the playback device in Windows.

The Voice hardware test is now detecting a slight level in the recording column, and the playback column registers an intermittent level and is very scratchy-sounding through the headphones.

I checked Mic Boost in the Control Panel, then recorded a test in Audacity, then used the Noise Removal and Amplify effects, and have a reasonable facsimile of a processed-sounding voice recording. Not optimal, but it's there.

I'm still open to suggestions if there are any others...

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Maybe not much of help, but I should test the mic on another PC and try to get the hands on another mic to test on your PC.
Have you used another mic or a headset with mic on your PC before ?
What type of connector do your PC mic have ?
1/8" stereo plug or 1/8" mono plug ?
If it has a mono plug , this may cause a problem as many PC mic inputs use a stereo jack.
Using a mono plug will shortcircuit one of the input channels to ground and reduce the sound level.

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for the reply, Kalle.

I have not ever used any type of mic with the PC before.

I can take this mic to my office and try it on that PC, but I'd have to buy a second mic to test another on this PC. Might have to try that in case this mic is defective.

The mic plug is a 1/8" stereo plug. (Darn--I was hoping that was going to easily identify the problem.)

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@dirtypinkocommiescum)

In my experience Audacitys compressor usually sorts this problem out without adding noise, or at least problematic levels of noise.

ReplyQuote