Skip to content
Question about dyna...

Notifications
Clear all

Question about dynamic mic to computer...

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@adm073)
Topic starter  

I just got my package in from MF and for some reason, the mic I ordered won't work on my computer. I'm getting virtually no output from it in either Krystal or Audacity... any advice on what to do? I've looked around, and am not 100% sure what I need. Maybe I need a mixer or lo-z/hi-z transformer? I'm not sure... I figured I should ask here before buying anything else... don't want to spend $40 on the wrong thing. :P

Mic: Nady SP-4C with XLR-1/4 cord and 1/4-1/8 adapter
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You have it plugged in to the mic in and not the line in? In Audacity, Microphone is selected in the pulldown menu? Also, the volume slider is all the way up?

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Go to the "Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices" and then click the "Volume" button under "Sound recording" and make sure the correct device is selected at the bottom. I think you can only take input from one device at a time. Also, make sure the volume slider isn't all the way down.

ReplyQuote
(@adm073)
Topic starter  

Now I feel really stupid... I went ahead and messed with the volume settings and Audacity again and wasn't seeing anything change on the recording, but when I'd snap or clap my hands in front of the mic I'd see the levels spike a little bit. It turns out that all this time it's been recording fine, but I guess I wasn't singing loud enough in to the mic for there to be any visible difference on the graph. When I zoomed in, I saw that there was actually some activity, but originally I was zoomed out enough that it didn't show it. And because the adapter is so big, I couldn't have my speakers plugged in at the same time, so I was relying on the graph to tell me if it was working. :roll:

Thanks for your help, I'm glad it was just user error. :lol:

ReplyQuote