Notifications
Clear all

Severe Newbie Advice needed please.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@smiggsy)
Topic starter  

Ok guys, Decided to give this PC recording thing a try, & this is what Ive got so far...

M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Tapco 6306 Mixer
Digitech RP100 FX Pedal

I want to run my Fender Strat & a Yamaha PSR keyboard into the PC.
All Ive done so far is install the soundcard... & have lots of fun with the pedal through my amp, so I havn't even started on trying to connect this lot up yet.

Been reading a lot about a D.I box... so there's the first question...

Which one do I go for?

I've looked at the Line6 Toneport UX1 or UX2... seems like a cracking piece of kit, although a bit pricey.
The Digitech has amp modelling built in, & it sounds cool, although there's no digital line-out, so if Im going to use it I'll have to run a signal from the stereo headphone output... will this work ok?

I don't know if I'll even need the mixer as yet, but both it & the pedal were real bargains so I just grabbed them.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction for a good DI box, & also give me some advise on the best way to loop all this up.. ie: where should I put the DI box when I get it, before of after the pedal? I'd be increadibly greatful.

Sorry for being so... new :)

Fender (Mex/Jap) Stratocaster.. (cut n shut).
Epi Les Paul.
Yamaha LL500 Acoustic.
Yamaha FG432S Acoustic.
Ibanez V310 Acoustic.
Yamaha PSR275 Keyboard.
Korg AX3000G.

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Smiggsy
You have all you need, except maybe for some cables

The guitar is connected to Digitech RP100 1/4" mono Guitar input

My recommendation is that you connect a Digitech RP100 1/4" TRS stereo output to a stereo line-in channel on the Mixer.
Connect the main out on the mixer to Line-in on the soundcard.

The PSR Keyboard should be connected to the computer via USB port or MIDI port (on soundcard)

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As a general suggestion: there are billions of different gadgets you 'must have'. A DI Box is one of them. I'd suggest that everytime you run into something like this you ask what's wrong with your sound, not what the gadget could add. So hook it all up and record yourself. maybe you need nothing more, maybe you need something other then a DI. Don't ever spend money on gear if you don't really know what it does.

For the rest what Kalle says. you might want to connect your keybord to the mixer as well so you can record both MIDI and the actual sound of your keybord. I find that helps when setting the velocity response of whatever VST you use much easier when you have the actual recording at hand.

ReplyQuote
(@smiggsy)
Topic starter  

Thanks a million guys...

Initially I was just gonna try using the soundcard on it's own, as I've read good things about these cards, but the mixer & the pedal just fell into my lap for next to nothing, so I figured I'd try and use them & maybe get some decent results.

I'll keep you posted, as I'm bound to need to pick your brains somemore.

Thanks again :)

Fender (Mex/Jap) Stratocaster.. (cut n shut).
Epi Les Paul.
Yamaha LL500 Acoustic.
Yamaha FG432S Acoustic.
Ibanez V310 Acoustic.
Yamaha PSR275 Keyboard.
Korg AX3000G.

ReplyQuote