Clear all

Recording a Band Promo CD

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, since I have a Roland BR-600 we decided to use it to record a promo cd with it to shop around at bars for gigs etc. I have never used it to record a band. I have laid down my own tracks at home but that is about it. I was thinking about just using the built in mics, setting it up in front, hit record and the band plays. Then I would read the manual, mix and upload it into my laptop, and burn a cd with the cd burner.

Sounds simple enough (in theory), has anyone done this before? Any experience or insight would be appreciated. If no one posts I will write of my experience if requested.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

i would spend the time organising all the instruments and stuff through a mixer....then run a line out from the mixer to the recorder. that way you avoid all the crowd noise etc and get a clear recording. plus you can adjust levels to make it a good balanced mix. you may find with using the open mic that you can hear lead guitar and vocals clear but the bass drowns out the rhythm guitar. particulary if you use distortion

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have used mini recorders in live situation. then I take that recording and upload to PC. from there I can import into a recording program, export to WAV and burn CDs.
where the mike is placed in the original recording is absolutely crucial to the end result.
treble freqs do not travel far. they are easily blocked by objects, such as people. bass freqs are easily picked up and tend to dominate. having several mikes is best. but the one mike will work. just place it in the optimum spot to pick up everything. maybe the PA.?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses. I originally wanted to mic everything and mix it into the recorder but the "leader" of the band didn't want to put that much time into it. Soooo I will set up the mics in front as best as possible and go from there.

Thanks again.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

ReplyQuote