Notifications
Clear all

Recording while using a Ring Mod

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@zmdhtr606)
Topic starter  

I want to record using my gonkulator ring mod pedal, but am not sure how to avoid recording the tone that is produced with the modulator on. Is there a way I can record using this pedal and not have that tone? I understand how the pedal works and that the tone is the basis for that awesome ring mod sound, but i never hear that constant underlying tone on cds that use one!

Any suggestions?

~jd.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hello and welcome! :D

You might get a more informed answer, but I'm not completely sure that I understood the question? :oops:

So, I pasted into a email for my son with the question. He participates in Synth and Techno forums instead of guitar :roll: , has a Ring Mod, uses it and knows the inner workings, and is in College/Electronics.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Well, jd, it isn't looking good.

I talked to my son with his Moogerfoogers and he identified your DOD Gonkulator and its characteristic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wu-cs2pVc0

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=DOD+Gonkulator&rlz=1I7DACA_en-GB&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=oT6QS5TtOILWNpWFnfcM&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQqwQwAA #

Your carrier oscillator is the basis for your sound in the first place, which should be desirable, but your model has too much carrier bleed-through.

That is what you are hearing as a tone or maybe even a hum, like on that terrible Youtube, and all of the others like it, that condemn the DOD as being the World's worst Ring Mod. :shock:

The only other thing that could be wrong, is if you have put another effect in front of, or ahead of the Ring Mod. If so, put it behind, in-line, or don't use it at all.

The effect before the DOD makes the problem worse, is "ring modded" and bleeds through the carrier oscillator even worse to output. :cry:

Unfortuantely as well, a noise gate would have little effect, and is rather useless or minimally useful for this problem.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I want to record using my gonkulator ring mod pedal, but am not sure how to avoid recording the tone that is produced with the modulator on. Is there a way I can record using this pedal and not have that tone? I understand how the pedal works and that the tone is the basis for that awesome ring mod sound, but i never hear that constant underlying tone on cds that use one!

Any suggestions?

~jd.

Don't record with the ring mod on. Do the track without it and apply a plugin effect to the dry track. If you need the effect for timing, monitor through headphones post-effects. You should try to avoid printing effects to the individual tracks, but apply them after the tracks are done. That way you have more room to adjust.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote