Clear all

Studio Help

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm building a studio 20x20. The control room will be about 12x10 the live room is 10x10 and the vocal booth is 5x7. (those who are doing the math, 10x12 remaining is for storage for my wife) In an ideal enviroment I'd put double drywall to cover the walls with. However in a limited budget enviroment I am looking for something less expensive and just as good. I like the hard wood sound so all the flooring is going to be wood. Of course there will be foam throughout each room appropriately. I'm thinking just using 1/2" plywood (good quality) and painting it them putting foam 24x48 panels throughout the rooms. All walls and ceiling will be insulated as well. Any other ideas will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I'm not fully up to snuff with this stuff but......The problem with your plan is that you will not be soundproofing the room. If you're simply aiming to treat the room, then don't concern yourself too much about how the walls are constructed. Concentrate more on the acoustic treatment. To properly Isolate the sound from the live room against the control room you would need to look at building a room within a room and probably several tens of thousands of dollars.

What I would personally do is instead of creating three mediocre rooms, create two good rooms. One very small room for an iso booth(say 10 x 10) and the large room for a control room/live room. You can spend a larger portion of the money isolating your iso booth and the remainder on treating your control/live room. Drums in the booth for a bed track with amps going through a sim and headphones for the band. then Track amps in the iso booth. A good large main room will be better for acoustic recordings.

But as I said, I'm not up to snuff. Not to defer from this site but, try asking at recording.org. Those boys know their stuff. Rod Gervais (an author on the subject) Ethan Winer from Real Traps among others frequent that site.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote