Clear all

Tone question with example

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I'm back from a short hiatus with a question for you guys/gals. I'm looking for tips on getting the tone in the little solo about 3:48 into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux-Jwmm2zoE

Now, youtube sound quality is a poor substitute for good sound, but it's that smooth distorted lead I'm looking for. Any tips? Is it EQ or just the right amp?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

probably the saturated output of a tube amp. there may be some EQ to shape it, but the smooth distortion and somewhat compressed dynamics point to tube saturation in the power stage. as it's a studio recording, it could very well cave been simulated using a modeler, e.g. Line6 POD of the latest model.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What he says. I think nowadays there are many different roads that lead to the same tone and it's just too hard to really say what happens here. I think a better question would be how you can come close to it using your gear.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think a better question would be how you can come close to it using your gear.

Good point, Arjen.

Now what the hell did I mean when I wrote above "... cave simulated ..." "Could have" probably

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

The reason I asked "how did he get this tone" rather than "how do I get this tone out of my equipment" is because I recently bought a GT-10 and figured if I knew the EQ/Amp/Effect I would be able to simulate it using the GT-10.

Now I know it's a saturated tube so I'll see if I can find a suitable setting on the GT-10.

On a related note, Cave Simulated is now a guitar buzzword.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I have a GT8, which has the same sound engine as the GT10, and IMHO you'll get better result by treating the GT as an amp of it's own instead of an emulation. You can get really great sounds out of but often you'll tweak it very differently compared with the real amp. The sound in this vid is with pumped mids, gain at about 40-50% of one of the modern ampsims with LOTS of compression. Keep the presence down a bit and cut a bit at the lowest bottom.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a GT8, which has the same sound engine as the GT10, and IMHO you'll get better result by treating the GT as an amp of it's own instead of an emulation. You can get really great sounds out of but often you'll tweak it very differently compared with the real amp. The sound in this vid is with pumped mids, gain at about 40-50% of one of the modern ampsims with LOTS of compression. Keep the presence down a bit and cut a bit at the lowest bottom.

Wow thanks, that puts me definitely in the almost exact right place. Also, could you give me an example of a modern ampsim on the GT-X?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Find a JCM900 sim or British Rock or something to that effect. Use your Neck pickup. You could try different amps for hours but will fail if you're using the bridge pickup. A lot of that fatness comes from the humbucker in the neck position. You could compress before and after the "amp." Try either or both. If there's a preset that alludes to Allan Holdsworth, you're half way there. Just take out the washy delay. This is a signature Allan Holdsworth tone with out the signature reverb and delay.

And by the way add this code (&fmt=18)to the url in the Youtube address bar(without the brackets) and you will get a hi quality stream. Sounds much better in stereo.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@eschnack)
Eminent Member

Actually, Holdsworth uses the bridge pickup for his sound...he just eq's it differently...lots of mids, liitle highs. And I think this guy's also using his bridge pickup, but it has a bit more bite than the Holdsworth sound. Sorta between Holdsworth and Vai.

And for that really classic, thick tone I would go with a Mesa sound. But as has been said you can get there with most modern hi-gain amps.

My 2 cents...

Death and the Maiden - Guitars Playing String Quartets

http://www.deathandthemaiden.net

http://www.myspace.com/deathmaiden

ReplyQuote