Notifications
Clear all

150W Guitar Head through 600W Bass Cab?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dhiller0217)
Topic starter  

What's up people? I have a question. I'm a guitar player, but I'm going to be filling in on bass for another band for a while. A buddy of mine let me borrow a 600W 6x10 Ampeg Cab, but the only head I have is my guitar head, which is a 150 Marshall Solid State. My question is - Can playing this combination be damaging to the head or more importantly, the cabinet? My assumption is no, but I've heard in the past if you're underpowering a cabinet that it can actually be damaging to the speakers. I don't want to mess my friends equipment up. Any advice would be much appreciated!

-Danny

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Underpowering a cab can't damage speakers. But a cab with woofers and tweeters and a crossover can be damaged by using an amp rated much lower than the cab, if it's cranked up into distortion so the output has more harmonics in it than the standard distribution the cab was rated for. The higher percentage of harmonics gets routed by the crossover to the tweeter and fries it. Where you have no crossover and no tweeter, you have no problem. Higher frequencies than the speaker's built to respond to just don't get reproduced.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote