Clear all

Preserving the acoustic sound

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@acousticfish)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Good morning everyone, on my quest to amplify my acoustic and to keep the integrity of true acoustic sound I was wondering how well the acoustic amps do that, I have not been able to test any out so I need to rely on your knowledge. I was over at a friends house and plugged into his Fender Frontman 100w amp and my Breedlove sounded more like an electric than an acoustic which is probably correct seeing his setup was not intended for acoustic sound. So will the acoustic amps really sound like my acoustic or should I be looking at something else? Thanks again for any suggestions. :D

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have a fishman loudbox performer and i really love it. whether playing my A/E or micing my non-electric acoustics.
others i have liked a lot were, swr, genz benz, ultrasound, and i was very impressed with the new crate acoustic amps also.
google "acoustic amps" "forums" and you will get a wide variety of opinions and ideas to investigate further.
good luck!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can do fairly well maintaining the acoustic sound while running an acoustic through a guitar amp if you keep the gain and volume low enough to avoid clipping, and keep the treble and presence way up. It'll sound better through an acoustic amp, of course.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@acousticfish)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your replies, when I was plugged into my friend's fender there seemed to be quite a bit of "feedback" a constant hum is that normal? Would the acoustic amps do this?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Feedback is a big problem with acoustics or hollowbody electrics run through an amp with much gain and/or with the volume loud. The body resonance that makes your guitar sound good acoustically is a two-way thing, it picks up sound as well as it puts it out. You'll do better through an acoustic amp, but don't take my word for it, try one out!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@acousticfish)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey a big thank you for your time to reply to these questions of mine. I've been contemplating this for awhile along with researching the best one, if there is one, and the Genz Benz name has been in the forefront along with Ultrasound. I had been seriously considering the 60W from Genz Benz but maybe the 35W would be sufficient. About an hours drive from here has the Genz Benz 35W at the store, maybe a trip down is in order. Thanks again. :D

ReplyQuote