Notifications
Clear all

A tube problem!!

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@misterjoel)
Topic starter  

Hi I need some advice, tube amp style. My amp seems to take 2 or so hours to reach its peak performance. I have a bassman reissue which is second hand, but only four years old. It plays to a high standard after warming for a minute or so, but I find that after two hours it really sounds awesome... I was wondering whether this is normal, or if my valves need replacing. Thanks, Ben

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I suspect your ears take about 2 hours to get conditioned.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Ricochet is probably correct. The Bassman is a famous amp and known for it's shrill "icepick" high frequencies. So perhaps your amp sounds a little harsh at first. It is also known that as people's ears become fatigued they lose sensitivity to high frequencies. So, this might be why your amp seems to sound better after 2 hours.

Just remember to protect your hearing. They can make amps that are 500 watts and play 130 decibels, but no one can make an ear. Just because your amp will scream does not mean it is a good idea to play it like that. Many musicians suffer from hearing loss later in life.

Sorry to preach, but many are sorry they played so loud when young.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Many musicians suffer from hearing loss later in life.

Sorry to preach, but many are sorry they played so loud when young.

Latest Guitar Player magazine, which showed up yesterday, has an interview with Wylde. The interviewer asks him if his ears ring, and he says "Yeah, they ring. At night, when I go to sleep, if I don't have the TV on, the ringing really bothers me, so I usually leave the TV on when I go to sleep". (Not verbatim, something close..)

:-(

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's pretty bad. I'd hate to have that every day and night.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@misterjoel)
Topic starter  

Hmm I suppose it is pretty loud, but an answer I was not expecting!! I'll have that in mind when I'm rehearsing tonight. Thanks though, Ben

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Seriously, Ben, I don't think there's anything in the amp that drastically changes the sound for the better over two hours of warming up. I think it's perceptual. I've often heard the same phenomenon reported. I know I get a lot more tolerant of high volume and like it better after being exposed to it for a while. And ear fatigue surely does filter out some of the harsher sounds.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote