Notifications
Clear all

Amp settings question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@arrow322)
Topic starter  

Hi guy's. Hope everyone had a great weekend. First off was there a problem with this web site over the weekend? I had asked a question on 4/20 I think it was and got 1 response and now the whole post is missing? Oh well. I do have a question though, in reading on this site I think I am actually learning something so I just want to verify my thinking is correct. I have a Behring ep1500 amp that kicks out 280 watts per channel at 8 ohms and my Behringer Sub's are rated 400 watt RMS or 800 peak at 8 ohms. So looking at this I think if I run the amp in bridged mode and then run the speakers in parallel I would get 700 watts to each speaker (ie bridged mode =1400 watts at 4 ohms and the 2 8ohm speakers would give me 4ohms) Is my thinking right on this? Thanks again guys
Frank

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yes, that will work. You should use heavy cables.

And some posts disappeared during the recent server migration.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@arrow322)
Topic starter  

Thanks Laz, as far as the posts I just thought maybe I was high or something, not really but I had asked a similar question in that post and you might have even been the one that answered so if you were thanks again
Frank

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Frank (arrow322)

I think we spoke about this a few days back. We have probably already been over this, but the best way to get the most thump and power out of those Behringer subs is run them in Bi-Amp mode. Just take off the plate on the back of the sub and flip the switch (they come in Passive mode default). Just turn the plate over, it prevents the switch from being flipped when you are moving the subs around.

You also have to reverse ONE end of the cable running from your amp to sub #1. At the amp you use the +1/-1 connectors or contacts. You have to flip the wires 180 degrees at the other end. So you are using +2/-2 at the sub. The +2/-2 connectors bypass the built in crossover, so all signal is going directly through the woofer only. Also, on cable #2 that you use to parallel (daisy chain) sub #1 to sub #2 you must reverse BOTH ends of the cable. So both ends will be +2/-2 for sub #2.

Make sure to mark your cables so you will always know which speakon goes where. :wink:

I think you already knew this, but just wrote in case you didn't.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@arrow322)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response Wes, Yeah I knew what to do on the speaker side but was confirming my math on the amp side and the proper settings for it, I have it set up as bridged mono coming out of channel one using 1+/1- going to the 1st sub with the cable set as 2+/2- on the sub side and then I set up a second cable 2+/2- on both ends going between the sub's. I was just trying to confirm that I go from 280 watts per channel up to 700 per channel ( if this is the case I still have to turn the amp up alot to get the subs to sound good. which brings up a new question I will start a new post on but once again thanks
Frank

ReplyQuote