Clear all

amp suggestions

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i'v got a line 6 pod processer and i'm looking for an amp that sounds good with it. i was looking at crate amps....but i was just wondering if anyone thinks a different brand would sound better or what. I'm into heavy distortion if that helps

thanks

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Nicholas

That processor will make any amp sound pretty good.

How much money do you have to spend? Will you just be practicing at home, or will you be using it in a band?

For heavy distortion, Marshall or Mesa/Boogie are the two most common amps used by bands that play heavy music.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the reply man

i'm mainly playing alone. but if i ever decide to play in a band i'd like a good amp. as for price..i'm thinking $300us or less. i can go more.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

There are a lot in the $250 - $350 range that would be really good.  Check out musicinsfriend.com under guitars, amps, combos.  You'll have some in that price range that are familiar, Fender, Crate, Behringer.  Don't overlook a small Tube amp just because the wattage seems a lot less than a solidstate amp offers.  Read some of the other post around here.  You can always hook up any amp you get now to a large PA later on.  Therefore, you don't have to go strictly on the hugeness of your sound output right now.  Instead, go for the quality of the sound output.   Experiment at your local store, check out the rating on musiciansfriend, and by all means, continue to ask questions here.  Good Luck.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Since you will use the POD I don't think a modelling amp will be usefull. Something like a Peavey will suit you well I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Something to think about would be instead of buying one expensive amp maybe by a not so expensive amps and run stereo.

Just a thought

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, stereo is the coolest.  I hooked up two identical amps to my multieffect processor and if freaked me out (in a good way) how I could hear the sound coming from both sides of the room.  It seems fuller I suppose.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

corbind
Really make a difference doesn't it. The effects just seem come from everywhere.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

From what I've read, and the way I use my Zoom PS-04 amp models, is to run something like the Pod into a clean amp setting.  That way you get the sound of the model played throught he amp without much coloration.  If you get an amp with a nice dirty sound for metal, you would want to go with that sound and avoid the modelling from the Pod.  Otherwise you could get some strange and unpleasant artifacts.  So that would argue for a clean, cheap solid state amp.
    On the otherhand, a real tube amp might help warm up the modelled sounds.  I haven't tried this yet, so what do you guys think?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The average listener cannot even tell the difference between  solid state and tube, but I think everything sounds a little better through a tube amp.

I saw a band last night with two guitar players, both using Line 6 amps. They sound pretty great, lots of effects.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Throw the POD into the FX-return, and skip the entire pre-amp within the combo. If the poweramp in the combo is solidstate, hook up a small tube-preamp (like the behringer MIC100, $40 new) before the POD to warm the signal.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I just checked out that device.  So you can really tell the difference in your sound when using it compared to when you are not?  I was also wondering if it would be better to put it in the chain just before the amp so that it's only warming up the sterile digital before it hits the amp.  If it goes before the preamp (POD) it may cause some "odder" sounds wouldn't you think?  Mind you, I know at or about zero about loops, effects chain, etc.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

Well I use PODs as well and have been waiting a year for this guy to come out with this amp...

http://www.atomicamps.com/

doesn't look like it's ever going to happen though, but get on his email list...ya never know, it's worth getting interested in if you like amp modelers and don't have $1800 to spend on a Vetta II

ReplyQuote
(@reflectionsfading6)

If have the money, a Marshall would rock...Butt since you use distortion, almost anything would work..I hope this helps. :)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

just buy the most expensive one in the store you will save yourself mony on all of those other lower class amps you would have had

but if you dont have alot of money buy an amp from a reliable company (at least one you have herd of)
you cant go wrong with a marshall of fender ;D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2