Notifications
Clear all

Amplifier Issue

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joeyj1)
Topic starter  

Hi guys, I'm brand new i just signed up like 5 minutes ago, but i'm gonna cut to the chase. I've been having issues with some weird hissy buzzy sound coming from my amplifier. Whenever i put my hand on something electronic related (ie, the strings, input jack, etc) the buzzing goes away immediately. I also always have a constant humming sound coming from my amp that happens even when i only even have it in standby, not sure if that's regular or relevant or not though.
help?

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey and welcome.

It may not be your amp. It may be the your cables, your guitar, or your electrical system...so:

Questions:
1. What kind of guitar do you have/use? Do you have more than one to plug in?
2. What kind of amp is it?
3. Same with cables, Do you have more than one instrument cable? If not Why NOT? (hint)

--we need more info so we can help trouble shoot--

Some things to try,
If your guitar has single coils, make sure your P/U selecter switch is somewhere n the middle. Does that cure it? If so, what you're hearing is the SINGLE COIL Hum. IF not Continue

Change your instrument cable. Does this fix it? If not, continue ( btw these aren't in any order)
Change your guitar. Does this fix it? (if so what kind of guitar is it vs the first guitar) Continue if it doesn't work.
Change the wall socket you plug the amp into. Does this fix it? If no continue. (If it does you might have a grounding problem on that first power socket).
If it doesn't fix it, do you have Fluorescent lights in your room, or close by? Turn them off...does that fix it?

See where I'm going?? Lets rule out every possible "fault" that wouldn't be your amp. It might not necessarily be your amp.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@joeyj1)
Topic starter  

Yeah I'm sorry, the first time i posted this i was confused and frustrated since the post didn't show up but here it is so yeah.
It's not my guitar, I've tested it out on a few different amps.
I have multiple cables, it is not my cable, I've used the same cable on a different amp.
It didn't happen with my acoustic guitar, which I thought was weird.
This happened with my old guitar, but I just figured it was the old guitar.
I have a ceiling light, I tried turning it off but it didn't help.
I'll try the socket thing, thank you.
tried the socket thing, didn't work.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Dont just swap it to a diferent outlet... move it to a diferent circit all together. It might be a noisy circit.Remember that each plug in the house is on a circit with many other plugs, and lights. It might be something in a totaly diferent place in the house thats causing it. I would see if I could bring the gear to a totaly diferent enviroment. See what happands then.

Have you tryed any other electric guitars on the amp?? Your acoustic might have a Prizo pickup that would not e effected the same way by electronic noise then a normal pickup.

Im betting its room noise, and moving it to a diferent place will clear it up. But if so... what then? Well then we can narrow down what is making the electric noise... maybe its something in a diferent room, on the same circit thats causing it... maye its something in the room next door.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK, so it doesnt show if your in the US or not... but if so, you can get one of these at any hardwere store.

This will show if the outlet is wired corectly in phase, and wether or not its grounded. they cost a few bucks, and will tell you if thats your issue.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@joeyj1)
Topic starter  

So, today i found out i have a ground wire issue all on the ground level of my house.
which is fantastic.
BUT, I took my amp downstairs, and played, the sound was initially gone, but then it was there again, very very slightly. You could only really pick up on it at a higher volume.
I still have that constant humming noise coming from my amplifier, my friend told me it could be a transformer issue though. This noise ensues whenever my amp gets turned on (off of standby... I have a Marshall Haze 40), with or without guitar plugged in, and gets louder with my my volume.

ReplyQuote