Clear all

Any Suggestions?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to buy an amp being as the little tiny tiny belt clip amp my brother gave me already had the speaker blown when I got it. :evil:

So anyway, I don't plan to use it for anything but practicing in my room, so it doesn't need to be too loud. I also have a limited amount of money being as I can't really get a JOB yet... I'm looking at an absolute max of 80-100 $. That's only if I really need to spend that much for good quality.

I was looking at this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Mini-ToneMaster-Amp?sku=480860

so are there any suggestions or feedback about the amp ^?

Katelyn

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For $100, get the Roland Cube 15.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15-1x8-15W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480022

There's nothing better at a cheaper price point. There are a lot that are worse at higher price points.

Don't buy a toy.

P.S. Welcome to GN! :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks~

But I also have a question that I feel quite quite silly asking. :roll:

I was wondering, what exactly do pedals and such do, and should I really be worried about them at all? :shock: I don't really have the money to go buy anything that I don't really need right now, so if I don't need to be worried about them (even if its just a matter of not getting one 'yet') that would be good to know.

I've been avoiding them thus far, but maybe they would be useful to my learning somehow...? All I know is that they change the sound somehow. :lol:

Katelyn

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Simply, before even reading your second question I had a thought in mind then when I did read it I knew I was pretty close on the right track.

Here's a suggestion for you that's somewhat Unconventional.

How about by passing the traditional "AMP" all together and get into a 'V-AMP" LINK
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VAMP-2-Amp-Modeler?sku=480674
http://www.behringer.com/V-AMP2/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It's right in your price Range. I don't know how much you know about them, but for your application and your questions about effects I think it'd be perfect for you.

The V-Amp is an Amp modeller a Pre-amp Modeller really. You can dial up virtually dozens of different amp types.. from a Marshall to a Vox to a Fender Twin/Deep Reverb and also have some effects in there as well. You can get some heavy metal sounds, some clean sounds, smooth jazzy sounds, spanking blues sounds, twangy country sounds, stadium (echo included) sounds.. a bunch of stuff.

There's also a good array of effects too.

Also you can plug the thing into a PC for Speaker out or some other external speaker....well you'd have to... Also a good set of Headphones (sounds AWESOME with headphones on), You can probably plug it into your standard Stereo/Reciever out to your Speakers via RCA plugs etc. What I'm saying is there's a lot you can do with one.

I know others will atest to the VAmp here as well.

Check em out......???? Made by Behringer and I'm in no way affiliated nor paid by them for any promotion or Plug I may make :)

Ciao for now.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

+1 for the V Amp2 - plug it into PC speakers, Stereo Inputs, headphones it sounds great and has enough toys, bells and whistles to keep you going for ages.

Or if its a tiny amp you want the Roland Micro Cube or Vox DA5 should fit the bill

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wow, I've never seen anything quite like the V-AMP before :shock:

I'll look at that and maybe at a few of the mini amps too...

I hesitate only because I still know nothing about sound effects and such. I must say that when it comes to that subject, (And just about any other guitar subject) I am the complete and total noob.

I think that at least for awhile yet, I don't need anything fancy, and loudness is definitely not an issue.

What size is best, in your oppinions, for a brand new player such as myself? Is mini a good idea for now, or should I try to save up some more for a bigger amp...?

Katelyn

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

SimplySimplified

I see nothing wrong with this amp you are looking at. It gets very good reviews. And the price is fantastic.

With the money you save on this amp you could pick up a few pedals to get modern distortions. Danelectro has a new line of nice pedals at only $15, best deal around. And they get good reviews too.

If you want high gain Metal tone, try this pedal.

Danelectro D3 Fab-Metal

If you are into more of Classic Rock type overdrive, try this Dano:

Danelectro D2 Fab Overdrive

This pedal gets excellent ratings.

Dano also has other effects like Chorus and Flange at these great prices.

A little amp like this is perfect for you. You are going to be doing most of your playing and practicing in the bedroom. You don't need or even want a big loud amp for this. You want an amp you can crank up a little but keep the volume fairly low. The Fender you posted is perfect for this.

Later on as your skills improve you can get into bigger, more powerful amps.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are super helpfull here.

I think I'll go with the first amp I was looking at. It's small and at a very affordable price for me, and I'll have some money leftover to get a pedal.

I think I'm gonna go with the Danelectro D2 Fab Overdrive

I'm defintiely into classic rock, and not so much the metal.

Thanks Wes. :D

Katelyn

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

SimplySimplified

Glad I was helpful. Make sure to get an extra guitar cord, you need one for your guitar to the pedal, and then another from the pedal to the amp. You probably already knew that, but just in case.

Tell us how you like the amp and pedal when you get it.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Righto~

I've already got one, so I just need one more.

Thanks for reminding me. :D

Katelyn

ReplyQuote
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I bought it~
It should be here in 2-5 buisness days. :D

Thanks again guys. :)

Katelyn

ReplyQuote