Notifications
Clear all

Crappy kick drums

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@fprod)
Topic starter  

The last show I did sound at, 3 of the 4 bands that played had so much stuff packed into thier kick drum that hardly any sound was going into the mic, much less any bass. How do you guys deal with a drummer that has a crappy drum set, don't know how to tune, or pack a million pillows into the kick?

Everything else sounded really good at the show (I was even able to raise the vocals above and beyond 2 100w marshall stacks and a 1600w Ampeg bass rig), but everyone was complaining that there was no punch to the kick, even with 4 18" subs.

(@alangreen)

Difficult question really. This is a guitar website and normal standards of professional behaviour tell us to sack the drummer.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

1. well my sound company and that i work for have become known in our area as the sound gurus so what we say goes.......Politley Tell them to take some pillows out. They argue and say no tell them they are the musicians you are the engineer its their job to get up there and play its your job to make them sound good, now take some pillows cuz your drum sounds like $%^&*... usually works......... they usually understnad then that hey it sounds bad and if i dont we will sound bad and that engineer surley knows what hes doing or he wouldn't be running our sound... so i'll do what he says....
if that doesn't work and you are forced to mic the horrible sounding drum.... thisis the senario.

2. usually a drum filled with pillows sounds flat and like a dull thud... so if at all possible place the mic inside the drum on a pillow if not or course put it outside 1" from the head. DON"T USE COMPRESSION.... turn the bass up to 7 the mids down to 3 and the highs at about 6 on the EQ and see what happens usually the frequency that thuddy bass is at is in the midrange so if you drop out some mids there will be more bass especially if you up them some. the highs you don't have to touch if you so choose but i like a little snap in my bass so i give them a lil extra..... All of this of coursed depens ont he venue you will have to play with it. You could also try an effects processor usually they have some verbs delays, and even some eqs that process the sound to where it sounds perfect nothing like the actual drum.

3. Last resort go on stage walk up to the drummer very politely smile and smack him upside the head and tell him to take the pillows or you will.. cuz it soundsl ike $%^&*......

yea sounds rude but what can you do once they understand that theyplay and you make them sound good they'll listen.. we have never had complaints once a show is over when we use our tactic..... By the way Stick with #! it works the best

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I know one engineer who mounted a MIDI trigger on the drum head and plugged it into his own drum synth - bingo, perfect kick drum sound, with no problems, and the drummer never knew. The mic near the kick pedal wasn't plugged in.

A true story, but still just a story... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Leear on those EQ settings. I also boost the bass and highs, and cut the mids for our drummer. Much more clarity.

But I like to put the mic about 1' from the head. I read years ago that Jimmy Page did this recording John Bonham and this was responsible for his huge kick. I tried it just to see and really liked it and so does our drummer. I mic it this way ever since. Gives the drum room to breathe.

But our drummer does not put pillows in his kickdrum. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fprod)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies! Usually the ones I have problems with are the teenage drummers. I run sound at an all ages venue as kind of a charity to help out local musicians, and they throw a little cash my way. I'm pumping 3800watts into 4 Peavey 18" subs, and when a drummer has his instrument in proper order, the bass can nearly take your breath away! But then someone comes up with a low line drumset with factory heads or with pillows and quilts packed in. I tell them there isn't much I can do, but the kids just don't seem to care. Guess I'm the only one that really cares since it's my equipment. But I guess no matter what, if crap goes in, crap goes out.

Heh, I kinda like the idea about the MIDI trigger, think I'll look one up along with the synth.

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

man in that case go with suggestion number 1 on my list.....

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote