Clear all

Anyone using Tone Lab or Tone Lab SE?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been monitoring the daily newsletter I get about Vox's Tone Lab tube effects processor for about 2 months now.  I may end up getting one in April When the floor board version SE comes out.

Do any of you use the Tone Lab or Tone Lab SE?  I've read some pretty incredible things about them and also about some of the problems.  If you use one or know someone who does give me a shout here, eh?  I'm just trying to learn about them.

Here is a link of the Tone Lab SE that comes out in April '04:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/vox/vox_products/tonelabse.html

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

whoa, nice!  and to think I almost bought the ugly little box AND the new pedalboard 2 months ago....hmm maybe this could replace all my POD mess...thanks for the heads up!

sorry I couldn't be any help  ::)

ReplyQuote
 Musi
(@musi)
Trusted Member

i tried the tonelab out i and i like it, can't wait for the se version

Enter the madness http://www.maggib.tk

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I was looking at that smaller one the other day and it looked interesting. This se version looks even more interesting. Going to have to look even closer now. Thanks for the info.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I bought the Tonelab 1 week ago and love it for both guitar and bass.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I've been using the Tone Lab for a week know and I love it. the sounds are awesome, however you do need some kind of pedal for live playing. The new pedalboard version does look hot although it looks kind of big and clunky for me. I don't like bending down during a performance and adjusting knobs.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just purchased the Tone Lab.  I'm used to playing from a tube amp.  It's not my tube amp, not close.  It is the best modeling device I've heard.  The clean sounds are good (I use it direct to a PA).  The overdrive programs are fuzzy through the PA.  I don't use a heavy overdrive and I'm getting some pretty good sounds as I learn to create my own programs.  Hey, at least I can model more than one tube amp from one box!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

IDo any of you use the Tone Lab or Tone Lab SE?

I just bought the Tonelab SE today, brought it home, plugged it in to my Vox Pathfinder 15,  jacked in my Lesp Paul DC and proceeded to check out the factory presets.

I came out of my practice room 90 minutes later soaked in sweat, with flecks of spittle dripping off my chin.

It's nice....
Re a l l y y nice.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

The new pedalboard version does look hot although it looks kind of big and clunky for me. I don't like bending down during a performance and adjusting knobs.

It's built like a tank  :o That was one of the selling points for me.

The other selling point for me is that you can set it up so you don't have to touch a thing during a performance, except a footswitch.

Each setting bank has 4 "effects chains" you can set up. For each chain you can do a default amp model and a secondary amp model, selected with an A/B switch, each of which you can EQ or shape the gain structure differently. That effectively gives you 8 different sounds on each bank.  Plus, you can switch each effect in the chain on and off at will, adding more versatility

Live, I usually don't use a different setting for each song. Basically I need 3 good lead sounds (clean, bluesy/dirty  and hi gain) and 3 good rythym sounds ( clean, crunch, and demonic ;)). Two banks would easily hold everything I need for most of a 4 hour gig, with a third bank having some "special" settings. Considering you have 24 banks of storage(96 chains each with 2 amp models for 196 sounds), There shouldn't ever be a need for me to do anything but tap the switches and wiggle the expression pedals. I can twiddle my knobs in the privacy of my home, where such things belong ;)

ReplyQuote