Notifications
Clear all

Combo Speaker to Cabs

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@apaitugempark)
Topic starter  

Hey guys im having a performance in 1 months time at school. The school has a few cabs i noticed in the store and it seems no one knows how to plug them in.I think there is one marshall cab while im not sure about the rest. So my question being can i plug my Nux Mighty8 which is an 8 watss combo amp. Can i plug in in the cabs and how ? I am one of the school PA members and i do quite understand about amps and etc etc.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The Nux appears to have an enclosed back and no speaker extension, so you'd have to add a switching jack socket to the back face of the amp. The switching would connect the internal speaker, except for when a cab is connected.

Pic of switching jack socket

You'd have to check the impedance of the speaker cabs, in relation to your Nux. If one of them is 8 Ohms - you have a match. If they are 16 Ohms, you could connect two of them in parallel to get 8 Ohms. If they're 4 Ohms, connecting two in series will give you 8 Ohms.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@apaitugempark)
Topic starter  

the nux does have a mixer/phones output will that work ? and i dont really understand about the power thing. Does it means the combo will suppl power for the cab ?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The phones output is far higher impedance than 8 Ohms, I reckon (32 Ohms sticks in my mind). I don't think that it would not drive an 8 Ohm speaker effectively.

The cab doesn't need "power", it gets its energy from the signal to the driver (i.e. speaker).

The problem with speakers is that they like to have the signal presented "just so" - 8 Ohms, 16 Ohms, etc.. You can connect speakers so that their resultant impedance is modified by the way that they are connected, So, you can connect two 8 Ohm speakers to give 4 Ohms (parallel) or 16 Ohms (series) - but not 8 Ohms. You can connect 4 8 Ohm speakers to give 8 Ohms ( two parallel pairs, connected in series or two serially connected pairs in parallel).

Whether your Nux will feed the cabs depends very much on their impedance.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@apaitugempark)
Topic starter  

im sorry but what does it mean by connecting parrellel ? sorry im still a noob in the ampp-cab bussiness :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/connectingspeakers.htm

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@apaitugempark)
Topic starter  

Ok so now if i check the impendance of the cabs, then i have to make it so it equals wit my watts ?. And how do i connect parallel when if i only have 2 wire. And what if i run it from Nux8-Mixer-Speakers would that work ?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Ok so now if i check the impendance of the cabs, then i have to make it so it equals wit my watts ?. And how do i connect parallel when if i only have 2 wire. And what if i run it from Nux8-Mixer-Speakers would that work ?

Are you asking how to use your guitar amp with a PA system?
Or just how to use it with a bigger speaker?

Those are both very different questions, and get very different answers.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@apaitugempark)
Topic starter  

Im asking how to use with bigger speaker only :D

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Then, you're back to what Greybeard said.
To use this amp with an external speaker cabinet, you will need to open the amp cabinet, and solder on a speaker output jack.

Since the manufacturer doesn't specify what your existing speaker's impedance is, you will have to determine that from the markings on the existing speaker. If there are none, you will have to measure it.

If any of those tasks are beyond your skill level (and based on your questions, I suspect you might not have a lot of experience with this sort of thing), you should get help from someone who has the skills.
They can demonstrate how to do it, and help you learn. That's not easy for us to do over the internet.There are too many variables.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@apaitugempark)
Topic starter  

Thx guys illl find someone to help me out. Thx alot for the informations :D

ReplyQuote