Clear all

Couple of Pedal Questions

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for some suggestions on a Noise Gate pedal (at least I guess that's what they are called). The Digitech I have has that built into it and it really does help with noise. However, since my buddy and I are going to start playing together, he's using that pedal for his lead stuff, so need some stuff for my rhythm stuff. I'm going to get a Fish N' Chips combined with my Tubescreamer but I wanted something to help "clean" up the tone. Any suggestions?

I've looked on Musicians Friend but didn't really find anything like this.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What is your set up?

What is the type of sound you are trying to emulate?

I own the Tubescreamer (TS5), but I find it helps with lead parts, I don't see how the signal boost will help you with rhythm.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to try the Behringer Noise gate first, should be around in a week or so if I'm lucky. Just try as many as you can find in stores, and see which one you like best.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I'm mainly playing a clean tone for my current rhythm parts. I was just wanting something to help take the edge off some stuff. I guess an EQ pedal alone would help with that. The tubescreamer (TS7) hasn't even been stomped on as of yet (it's just in my chain), but I thought it might come in handy for some of the bluesy parts where I take over the lead temporarily.

I saw that Behringer makes one, but it didn't look like it was available yet here. I also saw that they make an EQ as well. I'm just a newb with pedals and really not sure what I need. Thanks to the Digitech, I'm slowing figuring out what I think sounds good though.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The EQ is already being shipped to the States, if all is correct. If you haven't seen it you can read my mini review of it here:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17846

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yes an EQ pedal will help you a lot with what you are trying to do.

I haven't seen one yet to buy one, but Wes recommends the Danelectro DJ14 Fish and Chips 7-Band EQ Pedal. I've trying a couple of stores, but they don't have any. The good news (I guess) is I haven't seen any "used" for sale so the people that are buying them must like them. The one thing I've heard bad about them is (like Arjen said about the Behringer) the plastic housing.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've got that Danelectro in my wishlist at MF. $40 (including adapter) isn't too shabby at all. I think I may just pull the trigger on that today.

Thanks guys!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I've got that Danelectro in my wishlist at MF. $40 (including adapter) isn't too shabby at all. I think I may just pull the trigger on that today.

Thanks guys!

I bought a power-all daisy chain power adapter along with the same EQ pedal last week. I figured rather than spend $10 with each pedal I might purchase, I can get one that can power a few. It's $39, so it takes 4 pedals to break even, but on the other hand it's lot less messy..

(You can see my first impressions with the pedal on this thread )

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yeah, the "fishy" is great for the money. The plastic housing is not great, but it's not that shabby of a housing, either. Treat your gear right and it will treat you right!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Welp, I ended up getting the Boss GE-7 EQ instead. I went into my local guitar shop and they gave me a good deal on it, so I went with that. Played around with it last night and I'm a happy camper. I put it in front of my TS-7, tweaked the settings a bit, and voila it sounded excellent. I had to adjust it based on which of my amps I was using, but that's what really sold me on it. Before I just lived with how it sounded. Now I can get it to sound the way I want it.

I've heard most people claim that an EQ is almost essential, and I've been converted now as well.

Thanks guys!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes. Equalizers can make a difference. I use them between everything which allows better control of the signal chain. I've always thought All tube amp first, Equalizer second, Attenuator third. It's always good to hear when when things work out for the best.

Joe

ReplyQuote