Clear all

EFX for Peavey Classic

35 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Bought a my first electric (Dean Hardtail) and a Peavey Classic 30 amp last week - what is be a good EFX unit to get :?:

I like Blues and 60's - 70's rock.

Budget for the item is $200.00 USD

Thanks in advamce for any advice.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Bob

There are lots of good multi effects pedals you can get for under $200, even $100 from Behringer, Digitech, Zoom etc...

I bought the Zoom GFX-1 several months ago and am very happy with it.
I like Zoom distortions better than Digitech or Boss which I have owned before. I also like how simple it is to edit patches on Zoom pedals, you don't have to read a 200 page manual to understand them. In fact, you can figure them out without the manual in about 5 minutes.

So I am a big fan of Zoom myself. Plus, they are very reasonably priced compared to many of the other companies. And durable.

I sound like a salesman for Zoom. Hey, they make a good pedal!

Here is the unit I own.

Zoom GFX-1

You'll see I even did the first review there (yeah!). Hey, I like this pedal.

But they have another new model that looks very interesting. The GFX-3

Zoom GFX-3

Tons of features.

I'm sure others will suggest their favorite pedals. But I'll go with Zoom. No one has better distortions IMHO. Good stuff.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I bought a Classic 50 a few years ago and found the biggest improvement was the addition of a tube screamer type overdrive. In my case, I went with the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive ($120). It does a nice job on bluesy rock tones. I can get a real range of simple boost to crunchy input overdrive to edgier distortion with it. However, I usually play single-coils -- either Strat or P90 types. From having tried a Classic 30 with a LP, I know the 'buckers will drive hard enough to crunch as is. The problem may be in getting any significant tonal variation.

One thing I've been meaning to try is an EQ. I'd lay 10:1 odds on Joe recommending that to you, along with a power attenuator, of course. :wink: 'Course that would total more than two bills, so maybe just the EQ. Might help you get more tonal flexibility from 'buckers.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks - Gentlemen:

Wes - Read the specs on the two links you provided - the GTX-3 has the pedal built right in and will be one I will consider.

Grease - I checked out the Voodoo Sparkle Drive at:
http://www.voodoolab.com/sparkle.html

I need to ease into any additional accessories - first I have to justify the item to the boss (my wife). I'll need to do a little dining out to put her at ease after the guitar & amp purchase. She already said OK to the EFX unit.

Thanks for the input.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I like Blues and 60's - 70's rock

You already have a great start. There are some good multi-effects units out there in a reasonable price-range. I've seen to many guitarist run out and buy the mother of all multi-effects only to find themselves stepping back-wards, then become frustrated because they spent to much money and to much time trying to figure it out, only to have it suck the life out of their sound.

I'm by no means trying to discourage you from getting one, Only that to spend time searching for the effects that best matches our guitar and amp sound with the least expensive and still get the effects used in that time frame. When searching for a multi-effects pedal is go try it out with " YOUR " guitar and amp at different volume levels, which best matches how you will normally be playing.

As gnease has brought up:

I will recommend Equalizer and Attenuator. Both are the most over looked, yet they are the most powerful tools. Every guitar player should become familiar these and their possibilities. With these you can go from crying beer blues to saturated over the top rock lead with minimal effort, at any volume. They can be purchased for around $100.00 or less for both, Multi-effects unit around $75.00 or less, leaving $25.00 for supporting the Wild life, through a party.

No matter how tempting to be one with nature, stay on the outside of the fences at the zoo.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Joe,

The place I bought the guitar and amp also has several EFX, equalizers and attenuaters. I will give them a try at my next lesson.

Also, thanks for the zoo info: I often wondered why I get mauled at the Zoo - I guess I'm on the wrong side of the fence.
:lol:

BS

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Tube amps, Eq's and attenuators

Here's what some feel is an idolized tube amp sound. Blues Rock Rhythm

This is a peavey 50/50 run mono into a dummyload as a pre-amp. Gotta love those 8 saturating EL84's.

Enjoy.....Joe

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

forrok_star

Very Nice 8) - someday I WILL play like that :!:

BS

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thank You.

Right click it and save to your hardrive. Then you can practice along with it anytime..try both rhythm and lead. Its a basic 12 bar patteren. Once you get it down you'll be able to play a ton of different songs and play along with other musicians.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

forrok_star

I saved the mp3 - just wondering if there is a tab or the music notation for the mp3 :?:

BS

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

forrok_star
Hi there; I too saved your mp3,it sounds cool, would like to jam along with it as am trying to learn some blues without much success. Could you post the chord progression for the 12 bars to help out a newbie
Thanx
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Well No I didn't tab it. Should be pretty close to basic right out of the book 12 bar boogie pattern, played in the key of E. Anyway its the pattern thats used most often when you get called on. Change it to different key, speed it up or slow it down you'll have hear tons of songs with that pattern.

What I do pick a beat on a drum machine to match the style I want or use one Josh sent and just play. I've played that pattern or variations of that pattern a few million times. Fancy word I improvise, in my terms I just make stuff up as I play......lol

Joe

Edited Add in: It falls into the same category and Can't be to far off from these songs.

Before You Accuse Me, Roll Over Beethoven, Johnny B Good to name a couple. check out this By David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

forrok_star,

8) Thanks Again!

BS

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome.

The Mp3 was an example of what can be achieved with an Tube amp, Eq, Attenuator. Any other effects when needed are post, meaning added after the main tone. In this case there wasn't any. The amp that had the Mic in front of it was a Epiphone Galaxie 10 with a attenuator. leaned at a 30 degree's against the wall setting on two padded briefcases. The Mic was about two feet away set on a stack small camping pillows. I'm always exploring and experimenting.

One day you'll pick up guitar to play and everything will sound so great you won't put it down.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

forrok_star,

One day you'll pick up guitar to play and everything will sound so great you won't put it down.

Even though I not great right now I still don't want to put either guitar down.

BS

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3