Notifications
Clear all

EFX for Peavey Classic

35 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I just bought the Zoom GFX5 - has anyone used this and can provide any comments?

I live in Manila so the choice is not great but so far I have been very pleased with this unit. I have a Korg PX4 which I use for practice and travel, a Tascam Portastudio 5 which I don't like at all and a BOSS BR864 for recording which has some effects built in. But so far (I have had the Zoom less than a week) I like the Zoom best.

The GFX5 can be bought for less than $200 (I paid 12,300 pesos, just over $200 - not bad in Manila)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Zoom has come a long way over the last couple years. If your running it mono wait till you plug it in stereo. The thing that works best with any effects processor is to move the ones you like to user banks and dial it in to your best sound.

Have fun with it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

jimscafe

The thing I have always found about these multi effects pedals is you have to tweak them they way you'll play them. What I mean is this. I will often edit my GFX-1 at home at very low volumes, or sometimes even using headphones. I try to determine what it is about a tone that I don't like. Maybe the bass is too boomy and distorted. Maybe treble is a little harsh, maybe the delay is too long... Whatever. And I will get the GFX-1 to sound absolutely awesome.

But then I'll take it to band practice. We crank it up way louder than I ever play at home (sometimes louder than actual gigs I've played). But now all those settings I worked on for hours sometimes sound terrible. :cry:

So what I have done is just dedicate certain patches for playing live. I try to get to practice early and crank my amp up to the levels we use and then edit it to sound right.

So, that would be my advice. If you are going to play small venues, then try to crank your amp to those levels and then edit the patches. I myself really like Zoom, and one of the main reasons is that they are so easy to edit on the spot. I don't want to read a 70 page manual with all sorts of little graphs. A graph doesn't tell me anything. I need to hear it. So I really like the simplicity of their pedals.

But I also think Zoom has some of the best distortions. I've owned many other brands, but I like Zoom the best. And their modulation effects are pretty good as well. You cannot always tweak a Zoom pedal as precisely as other brands (they give you default settings), but their defaults are pretty good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

Thank Wes, very timely advice.

I shall be giving my first live performance at a company anniversary for about 4,000 people mid April - so the different settings needed for a small room and a huge conference area are noted.. Kind of nervous.

I found adjusting the Korg Pandora difficult but as you say much easier to adjust settings on the Zoom.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you like I have some presets I wrote for a different zoom product a few years ago. They may work or at least be close enough for just a little tweaking to get you started.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Joe

Yeah, post them on here. I think all Zoom pedals are pretty similar. I'd like to check some of those presets out. I'll print them and if they're good I'll have my first written records.

Thanks.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

Yes Joe,

That would be most useful.. thanks

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Amen Joe,

Any settings you are willing to share will be GREATLY appreciated. 8)

Based on the responses from this discussion I am planning to purchase the Zoom GTX.

Never thought I'd get this much information from all the discussion.

BS :)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a list of some great sounding ones (in my book). Can be used either stereo or mono. I mostly used them stereo. You notice a few with *. The first one will work great for rhythm and lead to songs like "Blue on Black" by K.W. Shepard. The second, third, and forth will work great for REO speedwagen. the six and seventh will have you crying blues leads all night long. I hadn't used it in some time it was good to get out a jam with. I forgot just how good it sounded.

My Zoom Presets

You'll may have to tweak alittle to work with your setup. They should be pretty close. Have fun.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Joe,

THANK YOU :!: for taking the time to and providing us with your Zoom presets. :D

I am new to the whole 'Electric Guitar/Amp' world and this will definitely give me a great start in using the EFX unit.

Info is nicely formatted – easy to understand.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome. Building a webpage was the only way I could think of doing it. Once you start listening closer to the effects and the different sounds you'll hear songs that sound pretty close to them. Have fun.

Did you get hit by the nice snow fall. It's deep here.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Joe,

The Web page works perfect - just selected the text and hit the print the selection function.

I'll make use of the info within the next two weeks - I am ordering a Zoom GTX 3 this week.

Don't know your location - I am in southeastern Wisconsin (Lake Geneva) and we had a lot of rain last night (temp was 35 degrees F). Very little snow left on the ground :D - lots of standing water.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hey Joe :D

Thanks, I printed those all out and am going to give them a try. Obviously I'm not the only one who likes Zoom pedals!

Joe, I run straight into my HRD (not effects loop). What do you suggest for settings on the amp? It has 2 inputs (the 2nd is lower gain and slightly darker sounding than the 1st), Volume (controls volume of Clean channel only), Bright Switch, Drive (adjusts gain on Drive channels only), Bass, Middle, Treble, Reverb, Master (contols volume of Drive channels only), and Presence (affects Drive channels more than Clean).

Also, I do like to run the 7-Band EQ only through the effects loop. Do you have any suggestions there?

You know this is a great idea. You should contact Zoom and start a page for them.

Wes

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, check this out. I found a site with many Zoom patch settings.

Zoom Patch Settings

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Holy Cow Wes :!: - 503 patch settings - that is a ton of patch settings - -

Maybe I should get the Zoom 505 instead of the GTX-3 :?:

Thanks for the Link :!:

BS

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3