Clear all

EI ECC83

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, i'm fixing my friends Vox Cambridge 15 Hybrid amp that he blew cause it was set to Japanese voltage (long story). Anyway, I'm very close to fixing it, and he wanted to know how an EI ECC83 would sound. I looked into it, and am curious enogough to get some for my HRD. I've found a great deal on some, so it is worth it in my opinion. I just wanted to get your opinions as well.

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Well, for one thing, everything that I have heard about Ei is good, as long as you get the gold pins. These seem to be the rave. I'm new at tubes, but my first replacement power amp tube is going to be an Ei EL84 Elite Gold Pin. JJ's for the 2 12AX7's though. Isn't the ECC83 the same as the KL66 or something like that?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

oh, 12AX7, I just did the research. Well, If you want a high gain, then go with German RFT's http://www.thetubestore.com/rsdecc83.html . JJ's are always good. And stay away from Sovtec, I'm not satisfied with mine.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, the 12ax7 and ECC83 are almost identical. And sometimes they were. My friend had heard that they sound better in voxes, so he asked me to switch them out. He has a sovtek 12ax7 in there right now. After i fix up his amp, i get a really nice strat clone for 50 bucks or so, so i'm happy.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, the 12ax7 and ECC83 are almost identical
They are almost identical, the difference is that one has ECC83 printed on it and the other has 12AX7 :lol: :lol: ECC is the European name and 12AX7 is the US name.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

THanks for the info greybeard! I'm going to go ahead and buy them.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

All tubes will have a different sound. No matter how slight. The best thing to do would be to try them and see if you like how it sounds. Everyone is different, what may sound good to me may not sound good to you. Myself I like overdriving EL84's as a pre-amp. For others this my not be their thing.

Joe

ReplyQuote