Skip to content
Epiphone Valve Juni...

Notifications
Clear all

Epiphone Valve Junior - best mod designs?

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
10.4 K Views
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've discovered a few things about my VJ now . . . it sounds superb with my Epi LP. At 9 O'clock on the neck pickup I get buttery smooth blues tones, then on the bridge pickup at 12 it nicely breaks up if I hit the strings fairly hard, with a progressively more distorted sound as you flick around the dial. 3 O'Clock seems best for powerchords and all the way around to 5 O'Clock for lead work with reasonable distortion. Unofortunately I seem to have encountered what others have, past about 2 O'Clock the speaker cannot cope with the neck pickup selected. It's ok on the bridge all the way around to the end, but the neck seems to produce too much bass for the little 8" speaker. I've had this amp less than a week and I'm mooching on the thought of a cab . . . :shock: :lol:

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@eyesonly)

There is heaps you can do to a Valve Junior. Mine is a now mini Marshall sounding beast!

I have a regulated DC heater supply, an extra preamp gain stage, a different output transformer.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eyes.only/vj_mods_3/vj.htm

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

I went insane with mune. I have 2 heads that have the Mercury Magnetics mod, run into a 2X12 cab, one into ewach speaker; one speaker is an alnico Jensen, the other is a ceramic Fane. Awe inspiring recording setup. Easily loud enough for a club.

ReplyQuote
(@hizelks)

Hey,
I just picked up the Epi head and cab today at work. Lovin it. I don't really feel like buying the Altair attenuator my boss borrowed me and due to my apartment living 5 watts is still way to loud. I found a site with a "Power 10-uator". Looks alright...I'm a fan of the Line Out. Anybody know of a site that shows simple instructions for a attenuator master volume? I haven't seemed to be able to find one. I want the crunch but at apartment volume.

Thanks,
J

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2