Notifications
Clear all

Equipment choice help....

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tonks)
Topic starter  

Hi guys an awol guitarist reporting for duty after a 20 year leave :)

As someone who has forgotten most of what I self taught myself all those years ago, I now have the urge to carry on from where I left off.

My questions revolve around equipment, I have more or less decided on an Epiphone Les Paul, I dont want to quickly grow dissastified with a very cheap guitar so the Epiphone should keep me happy for a while?

My main confusion is choice of amplification. I will be practicing at home so dont want something big and loud, I was thinking of a Marshal MG15 DFX or perhaps I shouldnt bother with the Marshal and instead get a V-AMP 2 or Line6 GuitarPort to hook up to my pc? I have usb but not midi tho I could get a card....

ps I am to go into hospital later on today for 5 days so I will look forward to your replies when (if :) ) I escape..... :)

Mark

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Asylum for the Musically Insane.  Hope all goes well at the hospital.

I'm going to move your thread down to amps and efx where I think you'll get faster responses.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

First of all, best wishes in the hospital. Hope all goes well.

As for amplification, at home I just use the V-amp2 through a 4.1 surround stereo set. It sounds awesome, just as it should. If volume is not an issue, it is a great option. I would rather have the V-amp (or pod), since the Guitarport only works with computers. When you get an amp later you can use the V-amp/POD with it.

ReplyQuote
(@tonks)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the lightning replys :)

Promedics, if I get the V-AMP 2 can that be hooked up to my pc so I can use the speakers I have?

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

My main confusion is choice of amplification. I will be practicing at home so dont want something big and loud

Here I go again. I guess folks 'round here can tell I really love this amp.  ::)

I feel the Vox Pathfinder 15 is one of the best "value priced" amps out there. It's got a nice "British" sound to it that makes it good for classic rock and blues, and some studio type enhancements that make it a good working amp for small to mid-size venues or recording (line out, external speaker out, footswitchable "boost" and tremolo, and a headphone out).

I've used it for everything from living room jam sessions to the orchestra pit at Richmond, VA's Carpenter Center (line out to the house PA on that one), and have always been pleased with it's performance. Plus, it's small size makes it really nice to use on a small stage  ;D

For comparison, my other amp is a Peavey Duel 212. Eight five pounds and 120 watts of Class A/B tube. Makes the dancer's ears bleed with the volume on two. It's got a wonderful crunchy sound, killer overdrive, and razor-edged distortion, but getting there can be dangerous in small spaces  :o

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the lightning replys :)

Promedics, if I get the V-AMP 2 can that be hooked up to my pc so I can use the speakers I have?

Mark

Yup, most definitely. Which is cool, since you can use the many freeware programs out there to record while you are playing. Or use your soundcard for additional tone-shaping.  And if you are going away from the pc, you can take your speakers with you. Just plug the V-amp into the speakers et voila, instant sound (although the later might not work with all speakers. I am not that technical, just thought it might work and it did).

If you use a surround set you might want to bypass the pc, since you only have one line-in most likely, so stereo-effects will be mono. Plugging directly in the set (left-out into left-in etc) will create stereo effects. Very, very cool :)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I just bought my son a Fender 25R, and it is the best $150 I ever spent!  Loud enough to practice with a drummer, and a great distortion channel.  Good reverb too.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@tonks)
Topic starter  

Back from the ozzy now and on the mend ta guys ;)

I really really thought about getting a V-AMP but in the end I thought getting an Amp with it being just a plug in and go operation would be a lot simpler than woking out the workings of tha V AMP (prob nothing to it) with me being a newbie.

I went to Dawsons in Warrington with the intention of just looking. Saw an Epiphone saw the price tag saw a Vintage LP Copy next to it, couldnt see much differance other than finish, saw the Vintages price tag noticed the Marshall amps a yard away and ended up walking out £310 lighter but with the Vintage guitar and Marshall MG15dfx amp tucked under my armpits :)

I am well pleased with the construction of the Vintage and the deep black gloss finish, now Im busy reading all the forums and have strted teaching myself scales with the odd simple riff thrown in to remind myself that I can just a little bit sound like Jimmy Pages younger brother :)

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Looks like you made a good choice. have fun with your new guitar amd Amp.

joe

ReplyQuote