Clear all

The eternal amp question:  which one?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing for two years next month and have only played through three amps in that time.  I play a Gibson SG through a Roland VG-88 multi effects processor to an amp.  When I first started I played through a Peavey 60w bass amp (1x12”) because I used to play bass guitar before I sold it and got a guitar.  It sounded decent and the bass amp certainly sounded bass-y especially with an SG.  

Anyway, I gave that to a friend as a going away present and bought a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 watt 1 x 12”.  Reviews on Harmony Central said they were a fantastic transparent amp to be great with my effects processor.  Yea, it had a great transparent sound (better than the amps I use now) but all the controls were on the back of the amp and it annoyed me.  Yea, on the back of the amp.  So with only an hour of use I sold it.  Then I bought two Roland KC-100 60 watt (1-12”) amps.  They have a small tweeter cone because it is mostly used for keyboards.  Or for PA's.  They don't sound so good with that squawky tweeter (I wish I could just disconnect it) but I've been using them for now.  One at home and one at band practice.

About a month ago I was asked to join a band.  I'm not the greatest rhythm guitarist in the world and I don't have a mountain of raw talent.  I have to work hard.  The other guitar player says I should sell my two Roland amps and my VG-88 processor and just buy one nice amp.  He says all musicians start off buying all kinds of amps, pedals and crap only to (years later when they are more experienced) to make it simple with everything coming just out of the amp.  He has told me many times that you only need reverb, chorus, and distortion—that's it.

Maybe he's right.  Is that true that most guys eventually opt for a simple setup and have all the stuff necessary in the amp?  If that were true I'd rather skip blowing through $15k in gear over the next couple of decades and go straight to that.  If it's not true, then I'll need to find out more.

I play music like Petty, Clash, Beatles, Mellencamp, Stones, CCR, Springsteen, AC/DC, Talking Heads, and love all classic ‘70's rock (except Stairway—gotta draw the line somewhere).  I don't play 32nd note death metal nor shimmering Buddy Holly (although I like is music).  I like crunch for those power chord songs and dreamy clear rhythm for some songs (yet that's really hard to get out of an SG.  Maybe from a Fender, not this 24.75” scale guitar).

So all of the aforementioned is a precursor to my ultimate questions on what amp to buy.  Yea, it's like asking “what is the meaning of life?”  (If you have the answer to that just skip the amp questions and tell me about life!)  I have the guitar I like.  It has limitations in that it's muddier and has a deeper midrange than 25.5” scale guitar but I can live with that.  I played a Fender type for 6 months and have played this one for 18 months and it's grown on me.  Did I get off track about the meaning of life question?  I recon so.  Sorry about that.   :(

Once again, it all comes down to getting sounds while playing music of the mentioned music.  What amp (combo or amp/head) would be good?

Sorry for all my babbling.  I am simply on the quest like so many others out there.  It's nice to get a hand from those who've been there.  I hope to hear from all of you.

Dennis   ;D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@stock28)
Estimable Member

I like pretty much the same type of music. Started off with a cheap Marshall practice amp and soon wanted more. Went to the music shop and did a lot of research on line. I ended up buying a Marshall TSL 602. Sixty watt all tube with two 12" speakers. Pretty good clean and good smooth overdrive to heavier crunch. I use nothing with it except a Boss 10 band EQ. I'm by no means a good player compared to most but I have fun with it. I'm able to get about any tone I want out of it without using all kinds of pedals and processers.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

Since you are going to be in a band, you want a quality amp. I would recommend you go with a nice tube amp. You don't need a huge stack to play out. Been doing it for years without one.

One amp I would highly recommend is the amp I own, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Beautiful clean tone, excellent reverb, and great overdrive (not distortion). But all you have to do to get the modern distortion is use a good pedal. I use a Danelectro Fab Tone, and it is bad to the bone.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040318205123067086209021393711/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/480510/

If you want a heavier rock sound, Marshall would probably be better. I've been looking at this baby:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040318205123067086209021393711/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/483125/

I have friends who know their stuff, and they say this is a great amp.

Here's a nice Traynor tube amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040318205123067086209021393711/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480959/

There are other good tube amps out there like Vox or Ampeg. They are all good.

I agree with your buddy. All those gadgets just get in your way. All I use is the Danelectro to get heavy distortion, a chorus, and phase. My amp has great reverb already.

The more effects you have, the more problems you have. And you don't need problems live. Plus effects muddy your sound. It won't cut through. My HRD cuts through like a knife.

I recommend small amps, unless you don't mind hauling around something that weighs 80 lbs. Been there, done that. Never going back. A 40 watt tube amp will get you through any gig. If a place is so big it won't, they'll have their own system anyway and you just mic your amp.

Well, these are my opinions, no better or worse than others. But I say get a good tube amp that won't break your back. Crank it up and it will sing!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote