Clear all

Fender G-DEC

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone tried or, have an opinion on the Fender G-DEC?

Bob Jessie

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Cool toy, would never recommend putting your effects and amp together, however -- but that's just me.

From what I've seen of them they look fun. But I think I'd rather have a good amp and a good effects set up (even if it's a multi-fx). Flexibility is always a good thing, and these all-in-one amps don't appear all that flexible in terms of sound-chain set up to me.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I have one. Its not so much a toy, its more of a Kareoke machine for the guitar.

I think its great for a beginner starting out to play with a solid drum beat(s) at different tempo speeds and in different keys, (there's a bass accompaniment). The effects aren't worth a damn though, as they mostly come preset with too much gain or "Timbre". But this a PRACTICE AMP, it was never intended to be a performing amp.

Most of the patches are from recognizable songs, but you can certainly make changes to all of the patches, (50 System and the same 50 "USER" presets).

One of the biggest limitations is all the patches are of a 12 bar format, Great if your practicing/studying the blues (there are a few great blues patches too), but not so great if one wishes to get through a whole song with stops and breaks and such. You can however feed in a CD or MP3 player, dial up your Angus or Jimmy Pagey and play to the songs.

The good:
Sounds Great with headphones
CD in Jack
2nd Guitar In Jack (teachers plug in) (I think its a great teaching tool)
Perfect for beginners working on timing and chord changes and such
**Very active group on the Fender board here:
LINK

The bad:
Speaker sucks.
Effects lack.
Limited to 12 bar pattern
Can't load your own MIDI patches into it.
Fender hasn't upgraded or enhanced firmware in a long time

Would I buy another one? Not at this stage in my development, but I do plug into it a few times every week. I like mine.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote