Clear all

Freddie King tone

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm really into some of the blues stuff right now, and I was listening to Freddie King, as he is one of my favorites. One of his songs, I'm going down, is one of my favorite blues songs to listen to. I want to create the lead tone of his guitar in that song. I have the epi valve special, and I need more bite and whine. Does anyone know how to produce this sound?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have an idea for what might work...some input on this chain would be nice.

Guitar>Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster>Digitech Bad Monkey>Amp(with gain around 12 oclock)

Thanks

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is a page that shows Freddie King's gear.

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/freddie_king/

As you see, he used Les Pauls with P90 single coil pickups and Gibson ES-335,345, and 355 guitars.

He also used Fender Twin and Twin Reverb amps.

You have to consider that Freddie used a very powerful clean amp pushed to total saturation. Fender Twins are known to stay clean to ear-splitting volume. So he was really pushing his amps. That is how he got his tone. And of course, the type of guitar he used, the thumbpick and steel fingerpick, all these were factors in his tone.

So, other than buying the same type of gear and playing at huge volume, you have to simulate as best you can. A good overdrive pedal like the Tubescreamer used as a boost with gain turned way down should get you close.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote