Notifications
Clear all

Gonna blow my HRD up!

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've experimented more than a few times using different rated speakers. I have one which is a Peavey 50/50 tube power amp set at 8 Ohm's with 16 Ohm Celestions G12m-70's. It really takes on a great Lynard Skynard sound.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ricochet

I can appreciate your visual perception of electronics. I am the same, I have often compared impedence to water running through a pipe, or driving with your foot on the brake pedal. I also need to be able to visualize in my head to better understand some things.

Joe's post brings up some interesting questions. I have wondered what I will do if I do not like this Celestion speaker in my HRD. My HRD operates at either 8 or 4 ohms. I have thought about these other possibilities:

1) Take one of the Vintage 30's out of my 2 X 12 cab. This cab is rated 8 ohms, so I am assuming it is two 16 ohms speakers in parallel.

Could I put one 16 ohm speaker in my HRD and operate it with this one speaker alone without harm to the amp?

If I took one Vintage 30 out of my cab, I could replace it with the 16 ohm stock speaker in my DSL401. It is a Celestion, not completely sure of which model. I like this speaker, it has good bass response. Might team up well with the Vintage 30 which emphasizes Mids.

Just wondering. Right now I just want to see how this G12T-75 sounds in my HRD. I am hoping it will give the amp more of a Rock tone, hopefully still getting a great clean tone out of this amp.

Gonna be fun trying this stuff.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wes, I don't think you can harm your HRD by running a 16 ohm speaker in the 8 ohm jack. I've done similar things with my own amps, and pushed them wide open.

However, it's possible that your 8 ohm cab uses two 4 ohm speakers in series.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@unklmickey)

...Could I put one 16 ohm speaker in my HRD and operate it with this one speaker alone without harm to the amp? ....
you might get away without damage, but it's really not recommended.

unlike solid-state amps, tube amps are more likely to fail when the load impedance is higher than what they are designed for. in fact many tube amps have shorting jacks on the output so that if no speakers are connected, the output is shorted rather than open!

it's actually safer to connect a 4 ohm speaker to an 8 ohm secondary on a tube amp, than to connect a 16 ohm speaker.

but these guidelines are only for tube amps.

unk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that's true, but doubling the load isn't going to hurt a thing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmm....

Thanks for the responses. I am a big chicken when it comes to experimenting with my gear. I probably won't try the 16 ohms speaker with my HRD if there is a possibility of damage. I have always been very fortunate, very rarely do I ever have problems with any of my gear, but one reason is that I try to be very careful. I am a poor musician and have to make my stuff last.

Oh well. I am still waiting on this speaker, should have gotten it by now. Maybe it will arrive today.

I appreciate the knowledgeable advice, Thanks!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Wes, any updates?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Dennis

Yeah, my speaker got ripped off!

Or lost.

I e-mailed Avatar about a week ago saying I hadn't received my speaker yet. Two days ago, a fellow named Dave (the owner?) called me at home about the matter. At first he couldn't find a record of the speaker being shipped and thought it was his fault. But he kept going back all the way to Feb. 24th, the day I ordered online. The speaker was sent out that very day. He had a tracking # from FedEx. We both looked it up while we were on the phone. The speaker was delivered on March 3rd. It was left on my porch. I live in a big apartment complex. Either the speaker was left at the wrong door, or somebody stole my speaker. :cry:

It was frustrating for both of us. But he is sending me another speaker. This time the package will have to be signed for. I should get it next week.

I feel terrible about it. I want my speaker, but I also want Avatar to make their money.

I just can't imagine what anybody would do with a raw speaker. Sheesh.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Wes, any update on this thread? Did you eventually get the speaker?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2