Clear all

Help me decide which amp!

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@uraliss)
Topic starter  

Hi Folks,
just wanted to get some help off you guys in deciding which amp to go for.

My guitar is an Ibanez 170DX and I have recently started up a band with a few mates. We have been practicing together since new years day and its getting to the point where some of the stuff is starting to sound reasonable.
Im currently using a cheap 10w solid state practice amp and I need to replace this with something a bit more meaty as we are now looking into getting a drummer and a keyboard player. In the near future our plans are to start gigging round small venues.

The maximum money I want to spend is around £500 and I have been advised to go for a full tube amp.
Im looking for something quite versatile but dont need any effects other than reverb. Something along the lines of Dave Gilmour or Gary Moore type sound would be nice.

I have narrowed my choice down to the following:

Marshal DSL401 £399
Peavey Classic 30 £349
Fender Blues Junior £325
Fender Hot Rod deluxe £495

I tried a few out in a local guitar shop but the shop was crowded and I couldnt really crank them up. Also im not really experienced enough to make an educated decision yet.

Can anyone offer any advice for me?

Thanks

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, this is a great question. All 4 amps are great in their own way. Each has strengths and weaknesses. I guess it would be best to catagorize them.

These are just my personal opinions. I am sure others will disagree.

Clean Channel at low volume
#1 Hot Rod Deluxe
#2 Classic 30
#3 Blues Junior
#4 DSL 401

Clean Channel at high volume
#1 Hot Rod Deluxe
#2 Classic 30
#3 DSL401
#4 Blues Junior- starts to break up

Metal Tone
#1 DSL401
#2 Classic 30
#3 Hot Rod Deluxe
#4 Blues Junior

Classic Rock Tone
#1 DSL401
#2 Classic 30
#3 Hot Rod Deluxe
#4 Blues Junior

Blues Tone
#1 Blues Junior
#2 Hot Rod Deluxe
#3 Classic 30
#4 DSL401

Early breakup
#1 Blues Junior
#2 Classic 30
#3 DSL401
#4 Hot Rod Deluxe

Volume (Loud)
#1 Hot Rod Deluxe
#2 DSL401
#3 Classic 30
#4 Blues Junior

Most Versatile
#1 Classic 30
#2 Hot Rod Deluxe
#3 DSL401
#4 Blues Junior

Reverb
#1 Blues Junior
#2Classic 30
#3Hot Rod Deluxe
#4 DSL401

Portability
#1 Blues Junior 31lbs.
#2 Classic 30 40 lbs.
#3 Hot Rod Deluxe 45 lbs.
#4 DSL401 55 lbs.

Reliability
#1 Hot Rod Deluxe
#2 Classic 30
#3 Blues Junior
#4 DSL401

Price
#1 Blues Junior $400 US
#2 Classic 30 $500 US
#3 Hot Rod Deluxe $580 US
#4 DSL401 $900 US

The Blues Junior is a great sounding amp. It is best for Blues just like the name implies. It can be cranked up pretty good at home, and is loud enough to play small gigs. You can really get this amp into saturation at a gig. Larger gigs or if you have a loud drummer, second guitar, this amp would need to be mic'd. It has no distortion channel at all, but pedals could be used. Best reverb. It sounds pretty and clean at low volumes, but would be the first amp to breakup at volume. This is not bad. This is exactly what many love about the BJ.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a versatile amp. It is known to have a great clean sound, one of the best. It will stay clean to very high volume. It's Drive and More Drive channels are good for Blues or Classic Rock. It is not a Metal amp, pedals would be needed for that. It has great sustain. It is the loudest amp of the 4. It is not a good amp for playing at home, but it is easily loud enough for any gig. It sounds best when played loud. It has a heavy reverb, good for Surf Music.

The Classic 30 is the most versatile of the 4. At 30 watts it can be cranked pretty good at home. It is loud enough to play almost any gig, and will get into tube saturation earlier than the HRD or DSL401. It is known to have an excellent overdrive Channel with very tight bass, much better than the HRD, but not as Metal as the DSL401. It would need a pedal for modern distortion. It is said to have a very good clean channel, almost as good as Fenders. It's reverb is said to be very good.

The DSL401 is your Metal amp. Marshall's sound awesome on heavy music. The distortion channel on this is great for Classic Rock. Rich low tone. It may still need a pedal for modern distortions. Marshall's are not known for their clean sounds, but it is good and very usable. Marshall reverb is good, but not as good as the Fenders or Peavey. Like the HRD, this amp is very loud and cannot be cranked up too well at home. It is plenty loud to handle any gig, and it's volume is more easily controllable than the HRD.

So, these are my personal opinions. I have heard these amps. They are all good in their own way.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@uraliss)
Topic starter  

Wow, this is a great question. All 4 amps are great in their own way. Each has strengths and weaknesses. I guess it would be best to catagorize them.

Thanks Wes. That was a great answer. Exactly what I was hoping for.
The decision is becoming clearer for me.

Anyone else want to add anything before I order on Sunday?

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I can't beat that summary. Great job Wes!
Wes has said just about everything and given great descriptions of the voices and competing advantages of each amp and what makes them the right choice for which guitarist.
An additional consideration for some is that the Blues Junior is the only one of these to lack an effects loop.

ReplyQuote
(@uraliss)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your help guys.
I have decided to get the Peavey Classic 30.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

It's a very nice amp. Enjoy.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Great work Wes.

I also won't count out.

Ampeg SJ-12T Super Jet
Ampeg Reverbrocket
Crate VC3112
Mesa Boogie Studio 22
Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket

Just a thought

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I saw a show a few weeks ago where the guitarist had a new ampeg (looked new anyway) that sounded great, clear when played clean but with a great bottom end that he used to great effect with a deep overdrive. I think it was an R12R Reverbrocket. He had replaced a really nice Matchless with this amp and it sounded just as good, for a lot less dough I would think.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Good choice Uraliss

The Peavey Classic 30 is an outstanding amp. I also notice Fenders are far more expensive, and Marshalls are less expensive than in the US.
I think you will be more than pleased with the Classic 30. It gets great reviews wherever you look.

This won't help Uraliss, but I am excited about the new amps from Reverend, the Kingsnake 20-60 and the Goblin 5-15. A little expensive, but I've read the quality is great. I like the fact you can switch between 20 and 60 watts on the Kingsnake, and 5 and 15 watts on the Goblin. These guys are smart. They have designed an amp that can be cranked at home or the gig. They have just been added to my wish list.

Reverend Amplifiers

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I think my next amp will be a Traynor YCV20WR, 15 watter class A with EL84's and a Celestion Greenback 12", I'm just waiting for it to come in to the shop and give it a listen. He's got the 40 watter, which was wonderful but it's way too loud for me. But, I'm sorely tempted by that Reverend Goblin. What a great idea that variable wattage switch is. It's also quite beautiful, reminds me of a radio we had when I was young.

ReplyQuote