Clear all

Help with Amps

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

trotskyismyniece

Yeah, this is how I use my HRD. I use a Zoom GFX-1 and EQ pedal with it. I have the HRD set up to get a great clean with a little headroom left. On the Zoom I use the Fender modeler for the cleanest sound possible. It is really quite good. Then I will use some chorus and delay or phase and delay etc... I set the EQ on the pedal to 25 which is flat. I use my EQ pedal to fine tune the tone. So I get great cleans.

For distortions I use the Zoom distortions. I like them a lot and prefer Zoom over many other brands which I have used. But that's me, I'm sure others might disagree. The HRD is very pedal friendly. A good distortion pedal will sound awesome through it. I go for the Marshall tone myself. 8)

The HRD's Drive channels are very 70's. You cannot get a modern Grunge or Metal distortion out of it. But heh, you want to sound like Stevie Ray or Santana, you can get those tones out of the HRD as is.

So, this is what most people do. They use a good pedal to get modern distortions out of the HRD. Works great.

And believe me, you will never have a problem getting enough volume with the HRD. It is scary loud.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

if your looking for something loud and affordable with a great overdriven tone i would reccomend the Marshall AVT100.The AVT'S are completely different to the MG Series. If thats not loud enough your probably playing too loud!If your looking for a secondhand amp try and find a VS100R.

hope this helps.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@trotskyismyniece)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I tried a used AVT100 they had at the Guitar Center and it didn't quite do ifor me. A half-stack like the VS100R is also a little unpractical for me since I need to haul this stuff around to practice and shows. I'd much rather have a combo then have to try to stuff a half-stack in my car, especially if a combo amp is going to be more than enough to get the job done.

ReplyQuote
(@trotskyismyniece)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Alright, one of the amps I've been wanting to try but couldn't find was the Roland Cube 60. I went to GC today and they got stocked up with a bunch of MicroCubes so I tried one and it blew me away. I heard clips of the Cube 60 on the Roland website and it sounded really digital and cheesy, but the Microcube I tried did not, In fact it was probably the best sounding amp I've tried yet

So I'm wondering two things, 1) Does the Cube 60 sound basically like the Microcube and 2) would it be loud enough to be heard in a power trio in most small situations like practice (more than likely I could mic it at a gig).

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2