Clear all

Jet City Combo Issues

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi All, I've got two issues with my Jet City combo amp.

#1: I heard a short, scary series of pops the other night when I moved it from one room to another when I turned off the standby to play it. It seemed to play just fine afterwards and have not have the problem since. I've even moved it back to the where it was and not heard the popping. Is this a cause for concern?

#2: In a seperate incidient, my power indicator light stopped working. It's been flickering a bit for a while. I could not find these on the MF web site. Assuming that it is just a light, does anyone know where I can get one?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

I would start out by emailing this guy and asking. I just ordered a WhiteBox cab (jet city's new line) and he responded to me with a few followup questions.

[email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Ph0nage. That reminds me. I did get an email back from them sometime late and a light is on the way. A bad batch of them. I'm still awaiting the poppong noise answer, which I expect to hear something back on by this evening.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

is your combo closed back?

I recently popped on the conversion back on my Avatar 112 contemp cab (vintage 30). I definitely enjoyed the sound of it more (keeping in mind i'm going for closer to modern rock).

Have you popped an overdrive in front of yours yet? It gave me a great lead tone (although a little noisy). I'm doing this and it sound great. I have a loud drummer in my band and was still heard

JCA20h:
Treble:4
Mid: 6
Bass:6
Presence: 7
Gain: 7

TS9:
Volume: all the way up
Tone: Mid based (straight up)
Gain: 4

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

No more popping noise since the one time.

The combo is a closed back with the exception of a grill running about 3" X 7" below the center. Looks like fancy rabbit cage wire.

I have not put a pedal out in front of it. I'm still exploring the amp itself. I know that sounds weird. I've had it since May. But, It's true. I had a pretty good rhythm tone a couple weeks back and have left it on that setting. It's got a bit of a bite to it. I just go up a bit on gain for lead, depending on style, etc.

<small rant>I've heard or read a few times where people crib about the lack of head room when trying to play it clean. It does not have a clean channel. WTF do they expect? Of course it's gonna start distortion. It's not a mistake.<rant over>

I can't wait to try your settings. What range of the Master knob works for you with this setting?

Did you see that Jet City is making a two channel amp? One clean, one dirty. 50W monster. I'd probably like it, but it'd rarely ever get above 2.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

yeah - i had the volume knob around 4ish. I'm the only guitarist in my band, which helps. The cleans on the amp are decent, but not great.

The people whining about the lack of headroom probably don't "get" the concept behind the amp..... You don't buy a single channel low wattage head for headroom :-P I really like the amp for the rhythm crunch, but am not really into it for leads until i put a boost in front. I've tried w/ a bad monkey and a ts9. Both work well. I'm sure that your GT board could do something great for it

As for the 50 watt head - I think that in the next year, I might look at the jca50h and jca100HDM heads. The jca100hdm is supposed to have the same overdrive circuit as the soldano SLO I hear. Jet City has drastically reduced their prices now, so that's pretty tempting.

Currently playing through a 6505 112 that i've converted into a head as my main amp (I wasn't a fan of the sound coming out of it w/ a sheffield speaker and particle board cab...)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The people whining about the lack of headroom probably don't "get" the concept behind the amp.....
I agree. Turning up the volume is mostly a two part process no matter where you are on the dials. One's definitely got to do some dialing. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote