Notifications
Clear all

Just got my new amp!!!

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

PVtele: your talking about HiZ and Low Z inputs right? Plugging a high gain output into a low "gain" input would result in distortion wouldn't it? Conversely a low gain output to a high "gain" input would result in poor signal I would think. Is there something I'm missing?

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

No Hueseph, not Hi & Lo Z (which refers to impedence, defined as a measure of the total opposition to current flow in an alternating current circuit, made up of two components, ohmic resistance and reactance, and usually represented in complex notation as Z = R + iX, where R is the ohmic resistance and X is the reactance) but high or low gain, or sensitivity.

Here's a quote from the Peavey TransTube series manual, referring to precisely this layout:

"Inputs
The inputs of your TransTube Series amplifier are tailored to respond exactly like the inputs found
on popular tube amplifiers. Always use quality, shielded instrument cables when connecting your
instrument to the input.
4. High Gain Input
This is the standard input used for most instrument applications. Most electric guitars will
work ideally when plugged into this 1/4" mono input. The High Gain Input is 6 dB louder than
the Low Gain Input (5).
5. Low Gain Input
This 1/4" mono input is provided for instruments with extremely high outputs, which can result
in overdriving (distorting) the High Gain Input (4). If both the Low Gain and High Gain inputs
are used simultaneously, their levels are both Low Gain."

In other words, there's more gain (i.e. amplification) on the high gain input, so the small signal from e.g. single coil pickups will sound louder - the low gain input, with less amplification, will avoid distortion (clipping I guess) when driven by e.g. "hot" humbuckers, active EQ circuits, processors and many types of stomp box.

Make sense?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Cool. I had to ask.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

:D

Confusing things, amps, aren't they. I wish I had Ricochet's or Wes's head for the physics of these things :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2