Clear all

Marshall BluesBreaker 2

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I figured it was about time to delve into the world of pedals and effects. I do have a Korg Pandora 4 but tweaking it is too time consuming, I also have a Danelectro Bacon and Eggs dist pedal that a friend gave me as a gift but I think it makes the guitar sound like a kazoo, wax paper over a comb (if you know what I mean), and the footswitch was poorly designed. I've played with many the different pedals at GC and never really found one that created the tones I was looking for.

Well yesterday I was introduced to a Marshall BluesBreaker 2 (BB2). I liked it in the store, took it home and fell in love with it. I wasn't looking for the type of crunch and distortion that will peel chrome off of a '57 Chevy's bumber, I was looking for that rich warm blues overdrive and some classic rock (non-metal) crunch. Four controls, volume, tone, drive and a blues/boost selector. Setting the selector to boost gives you an amazing amount of sustain (bypassing all controls except for volume). When switched off there was no noticible hum or buzz. To be honest I didn't check to see if there was any volume drop off when the pedal was bypassed.

Built solid and has the looks too, unless you prefer Tubescreamer Green that makes it look as if someone got sick on stage.

Its not new to the market although its the first time I have ever seen it. Tone is always in the ear of the pickholder, but if you're looking for something to add to your collection I think it is worth a look and listen.
Moderately priced.

If I ever figure out how to get Audacity :roll: working correctly maybe I'll post a few sound clips.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Always good to hear when someone finds something that brings out the creative side of playing guitar. Whats nice about units like that is it can allow you to drive the input stage at just the right amount to bring out a natural overdrive without altering the tone. That is unless you drive it hard enough to push the input into distortion.

Once you get familiar with it you can use it to get certain parts to cut through the mix. Have fun with it.

Joe

ReplyQuote