Modifying Boss Pedals

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before.....

I see a lot of people on eBay are selling either modification kits for, or modified versiuons of, Boss effects pedals (like the DS-1).

My question is 2-fold.

1) Are these modified pedals really "just like the professionals use"? Do they honestly make any difference to the sound or are they just a waste of money?

2) I'm assuming that these modifications can't be overly difficult to do.....are there any free resources on the web that exaplain how to do them, or are you limited to buying the information from other people?

Thanks 8)

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Was there a specific mod you were looking at? Some are fairly simple and readily available, some aren't. Some of the mods include chip replacements that aren't easily obtainable.

Reputable customizers like Keeley and Analog Man will make a difference and personally I would deal directly with them for quality assurance and support.
Ebay, as always, it's up to you to decide if the risk is worth it.

You might want to read through http://www.analogman.com and http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php

Whether the pros use them depends on the pro. Some used modified pedals, some don't, some use vintage, some use boutique ones like the Hot Cake.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, thanks for that info :)

The first one I was interested in was the Boss DS-1 Mod. I've read a lot of comments that say that the stock sound from the pedal lacks a little something, and that it's a little "tinny".

I was thinking that eBay wasn't (probably) the best bet, but I feel like I'd like to have a go at something like this myself.

Ive had a (brief) look at the two sites you linked to previously, unfortunately they seem to cater only to customers in the US - I'm in the UK so that makes life kinda sucky ;)

Thanks again.

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Both will ship overseas, you just need to find the right button (which took me a long time to find). :D But you may be able to find a kit for such a common pedal.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

This one is good (although for clones rather than mods), http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php , but I think I recall coming accross mention of modding either somewhere in there or somewhere linked to from there. They sell premade PCBs too :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that guys :)

I'll bear that in mind, I'd like to avoid buying if I can.

a) because I have no money :P , and

b) because I like to tinker and find out how things work :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have used Analaogman for my TS9 mod. a great guy to work with.
and work with is what I had to do.
the first mod didnt exactly fit my taste.
once we talked , he knew what I wanted.

I'd be wary of home made mod kits...unless, they supplied the 'right' chip, diode etc.

I believe a self mod would work, but you should have an electronic bent first.

start a conversation with Mike (analogman) and see what happens.

good luck mate hope it works out for you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

You could check out http://www.indyguitarist.com if you have the do-it-yourself bent. I haven't tried Brian's mods (yet), but the price point seems fair and the instructions are downloadable. The cost of materials for these mods is minimal, what you pay so much for if someone else does it for you, is that person's knowledge and skill. If you're all thumbs, pay the money. If you like experimenting a little bit, and you don't usually mistake the front end of the soldering iron for the back end, give it a try. :D

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member

I know this is a few days old, but check and see how much the kits are if you are going to do it yourself. The minimized cost isn't worth it all the time depending on what all has to be changed. Personally the only reason I try and do things myself is because I'm at school and I use the transistors, resistors, diodes, wood, etc. (basically everything but switches, pots, and jacks) from my school's lab.

Don't tell on me!

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Yeah, DIY is great for a hobby -- but you really won't save money unless you have a collection of parts you can scrounge from already.

If you want to learn to do DIY on pedals, I'd strongly recommend starting by buying a basic simple kit and building that from scratch before you try and mod a $100 pedal.

There's nothing particularly complicated in this stuff -- it's just attention to detail, but if you don't know what you're doing you can ruin your pedal pretty quick.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind :)

ReplyQuote