Notifications
Clear all

Marshall JCM800 vs. Crate Blue Voodoo

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@i-am-awesome)
Topic starter  

I need one of these amps for 80's hair metal. Which will give me a better hair metal sound? I can get an attenuator so cranking the amp isn't a problem.
I'm leaning more towards the Crate.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome.

Either one should work, it all depends on how you dial them in. Accessories to think about equalizer, attenuator, overdrive/disortion pedal.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

There's nothing like that Marshall sound. I'd go for the Marshall. In the long run I think you'd be better with Marshall.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

DaveM: Isn;t that purely based on brand logos instead of sound quality?

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I'm basing it on the fact that he wants 80's metal sound. Which I believe was a distortion pedal with a marshall. Of course, I've been wrong before :lol:

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@benner)

Get the Marshall and a Pro Co Rat pedal.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Arjen, let Dave reccommend what he wants to. Maybe it wasnt based on brand name. Nothing he said implied a bias based on brand name.

I also reccommend the Marshall. I just prefer them. I dunno too much about hair metal though. Sorry.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Izabella: Everyone has the right to recommend whatever they want. However, the question here was which of two amps is better, and such a question can only be answered by knowing both amps. In this case, automatically chosing for Marshall without knowing the Crate is totally useless, not just because it fails to compare it with the Crate, but also because it doesn't say anything about this particular Marshall model.

As Joe said, big chance both will work. The whole 'there is no thing like a Marshall' is totally crap, since there are tons of amps that sound quite like certain marshall amps.

Ofcourse anyone can recommend anything, and anyone can feel free to listen to anything anyone says. But to me it seems impossible to properly chose between two amps if you don't really know them. No offense to Dave at all.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Quote: there are tons of amps that sound quite like certain Marshall amps.

This is correct. Another thought also if I used a preset that I dialed in to my tube pre-amp to sound like a Marshall tone stack/preamp and then run a line out from it into a small 10 watt tube amp, without seeing the amp you would think I was playing through a Marshall. it comes down to how the equipment is set and the guitarist playing it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

Hey you guys, play nice! There's no doubt that many amps try and duplicate the marshall sound. Some even sound better. But I will stick to my original opinion between the two. No offense was taken.

I will also defend my position on
1. There's nothing like a tube amp sound
2. There's nothing like a Grateful Dead Concert :D

Rock on with whatever amp you choose!

Dave

ReplyQuote