Metallica Sound

21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

We ended up playing the song Friday night and I got a decent sound out of my amp. I had a Marshall Gov'nr pedal>Boss DS-1>Equalizer>Fender Deluxe.

I didn't sound to bad, one of the few nights my amp sounded good and Wes wasn't even there to tweak it.

Right now I'm on a Metallica kick or something. I was never into Metallica that much but when you crank the amp's up really loud and play Enter Sandman...man I've learned to love that main riff!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah man, that's what it's all about. I remember the first time I made that sound....with a guitar. Makes you feel mean. :twisted:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

well it wasn't the first time playing cranked up I pretty much play to loud most of the time but I never was into Metallica much and hadn't thought about playing any of their songs until now. But the thing about the Enter Sandman riff is the way james keeps building on the riff until you get the real heavy main riff. It's really a cool riff. I'm diggin it man 8)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I guess this horse is out of the barn, but ...... yeah, Mesa and the early stuff had radically scooped mids. When they did the black album, I believe the producer was Bob Rock, got them to use more mids. You could hear the bass better and it sounded thicker. I like Metallica although I don't play much of it. Enter Sandman but I think that is obligatory. Personally I would use my SansAmp Tri OD on the California setting, (AKA Mesa), and boost the bass and treble. Oh yeah, lots of gain. :twisted: I got all this crap way back when from reading the issue of Guitar World that came out around the release of the Black Album. It had a big interview with the band and Bob Rock. Glad things sounded good. Bet you had fun!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Tr,

Yea we did. I'm not sure what we are at this point we keep talking about getting more serious and maybe playing out sometime but we really don't have a singer and sometimes we have guys that drift off for a couple weeks. I was stressing on it for a while, Wes knows I've talked to him alot about it but now I'm just going with the flow. The last two times we got together we're probably the best so far so we may have hope. One problem is our drummer right now can only make it every other week, but we are getting another drummer this week so that should make things a bit better.

As far as Metallica goes the only songs I know are Sad but True and Enter Sandman and although I like Sad but True it's nothing like Enter Sandman. It's quickly become one of my favorite riffs to play and I like to play loud.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Basically I think you need at least two things:

1) A guitar with humbuckers (if you have a guitar with 24 frets and a whammy bar, then that would be even better for playing metallica leads)

2) An amp with a nice distorted sound: basically Metallica is known for playing Mesa Boogie's LOUD... which gives them a nice power amp tube distortion. Now you can probably get away with buying some sort of a nice multi-fx unit or distortion unit (and even if you're obsessive like me you could buy 1 or two E.Q units to put before and after distortion :lol: )

Currently I use my Epiphone SG - Boss Metal Zone - Epiphone Valve Junior and I can get a pretty nice distorted tone: I haven't had too much time to tweak the settings on the Metal Zone, but I'm sure it can get a nice Metallica-like tone. I'm not much of a multi-fx user but I've played a Line 6 Spider amp and I wasn't that impressed with it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2