Clear all

Mic preamp as guitar amp?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@zeraphine)
Topic starter  

Hi folks!
I`m a newb on the field of electric guitars and have just purchased my first electric guitar. Unfortunately I don`t have a guitar amp yet (I`m planning to get myself a decent one soon).The only amp I got is this little microphone preamp which I normally use as a headphone-preamp on my Hifi:

What I`d like to know from you is: Can I use this little preamp with my guitar or would it get damaged?

Greetings,
Zeraphine

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yup, this should work fine. You'll need to turn everything way down, and be sure the -20dB pad is ON, and the limiter too.

Always be very careful connecting live intruments to HiFi equipment, as the HiFi isn't designed to take the abuse at sustained volumes.

Have fun!

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It is definitely possible, but it won't really create the sounds a dedicared guitar pre-amp would create. If you are short on cash and just want to play through your speakers at home, I suggest a decide like the Behringer V-amp. Plenty of models, effects, and can be easily hooked to your speakers.

Line7, Yamaha, Boss, Digitech, Vox and other all make similar devices, all of varying price and quality.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Line7

Line6 know about these guys? :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@zeraphine)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot for your help. :D
The Behringer isn`t very versatile.It can go from clean over crunch to screaming distortion but when I crank it up the noise of the thing is louder than the signal itself.It won`t tolerate high volumes from the guitar,too.
I had to play around with the knobs a lot untill I had a setting that gave me a first impression of how the guitar sounds through an amplifier. Here`s a link to a recording of me playing around a bit (no I didn`t use a metronome there). The guitar volume was set at 1.8 , the preamp gain half cranked up and the output about a tenth. The line-out of the preamp was connected with the line-in of the soundboard. I chose a bandwidth of 16bit and 44,1kHz Samplerate for a good sound quality.Hope you like the sound as much as I do.If I only knew which real guitar amp could get me a clean sound like this :?: .
http://home.arcor.de/sunrisebass/Tube_MIC_100.mp3

greetings,
Zeraphine
[/url]

ReplyQuote