Clear all

Modeling Amp

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ralle)
Topic starter  

Hi there

I like to buy a modelling amp but are on low funds, so I don't want to spend more than $800 or 650 Euros.
I thought about the Line 6 Spiders or a used Flextone III. (It sucks that the midi footboards from line 6 cost as much as the amps).
So on the other hand Behringer released yesterday the V-Ampire LX1200H Top which can be combined with some of there stacks.
It's a hobby band. I play accoustic guitar for about 25 years and like westcoast style and soft rock, a little blues maybe. I play an Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe which I like very much. People say the Behringers are not loud enough? 2x60 Watt with a 400 Watt stack? Though I like clean
country and westcoust sounds, I do like digital sounds too. I do not believe we will have gigs with more than a 100 people audience.
What do you guys think?

Thanks for a few words.

Ralle

"It's impossible to achieve the aim without suffering" - JG Bennett

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Behringer gear is very good value, their one major flaw is that they tend to have a quiet clean channel. Their Distorted sounds are insanely loud, however, their clean sounds are often noticeably quieter in my experience. The only way to alter this is by cranking up the pre amp gain, which can make it sound a little less clean. (I don't know if this is the same with the V-Ampire, but it seems to be the case with a lot of their other stuff I think).

Line 6 are the standard for digital amplification, I think it would be a worthwhile investment trying to find a used Flextone III. I've played a few of the spider amps, and I found them to all sound a little plastic, and a bit "Fake". I am told that this has been sorted out in the Flextones.

It might also be worth looking at the Vox Valvetronix range. They are superb amps and contain a tube somewhere in their circuitry which seems to give them more of a sparkle than the other modelling amps. I think that they should fit into your price range.

The most important thing is to try different amps out, and see what you like. Don't be afraid to spend hours in the shop just testing them out. Also, don't completely forget about traditional amps, your budget should get you a Fender Hot Rod. These are fantastic tube amps, and although they are less flexible than the digital ones, they ooze tone.

Buy something with a sound you like, not just the features you want.

Hope that helps- Peter

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would check out the Fender Cyber-Deluxe. It gets great reviews. Owners say it gets all the great Fender amp sounds, which would be perfect for the styles you play. It is 65W and plenty loud for gigs.

Fender Cyber Deluxe

Click on "Read Reviews" to see what owners think about this amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote