Not sure what we need?

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Moonrider.
PA and headroom.
ps. the 250$ range is not a lot to spend. IMO that'd be minimum.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I agree with Moonrider.
PA and headroom.
ps. the 250$ range is not a lot to spend. IMO that'd be minimum.

Yes, $250 is not a lot to spend for sure. It's looking like actual sets start off about there and skyrocket afterwards. Can a powered amp speaker cabinet with a built in 3-4 channel mixer be a first step towards a PA system? If yes, then it looks like a couple of those I provided links to would work then. I think it's been mentioned that a logical re-use would be as a stage monitor if that time ever came.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy, like Moonrider said you should get as much clean power as you can and you can always dial the volume down. I really think you might be better off saving a bit more and getting something with more power I think you might regret it later unless you are into buying/selling gear.

The PA I showed you was really at the bottom end and like I said it's a bit underpowered for what we use it for but in a practice room environment we can get by with it. To me it's about the right size for home use. It may be a bit more than you are looking for but not much. I see they lowered the price I paid but it doesn't look like they include the monitor stands that came with it when I bought the system two years ago.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, so that's 800W out of something called dual 350w amps. What unpowered speaker cabinets would be needed? 800W ones? 350 watts?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@colin-rp)
Eminent Member

Ok how about about a different view on this. Because as much as headroom is great. It doesn't sound to me that you really need or want that much. How about a very small inexpensive mixer such as this.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB802-Mixer?sku=631238
With powered studio moniters like this. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Studiophile-AV30?sku=620706 ? I can't recomend this as a solution from personal experience but if your wife is plugging in an electric drum kit and you're using a digital multi-effects and you're not looking for loud maybe something like this might be more suitable for your situation now or you can go the p.a. route.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, this has an outcome now, I put off any PA system purchase. There were just far too many things I didn't know about them. Even what type of speakers go with what amp or mixer and what power was needed. I did learn a lot though, so I've got some basic knowledge and plenty of time to figure out what my needs will be regarding a PA system. That'll be all down the road.

We did go with a Behringer Keyboard Amp. Had a $50 coupon of anything $349 or higher, so got the "300 watt" for the 200 watt price. It fits in the space perfectly. It's one single, easy to use unit which is way important for my wife. It's way more than what we need power wise (both total volume and head room). If we ever need to go to a PA system, I can always commandeer this thing for my office room to use with my GT-10 instead of the guitar amp I'm using now that's coloring my tone a bit. Wife and son were both favoring it as well. It really does perfectly fit our needs right now and does have a spot to go to if we ever out grow it. 8)

Thanks every again for your thoughts, suggestions and all around information. I know I didn't get something a few of you suggested, but did take all of into consideration and made sure I had some things covered (like head room) when I did get what we got. Oh, this is the unit. http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-K3000FX-300-Watt-4-Channel-PA-System-and-Keyboard-Amp?sku=480783

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

That 15" speaker should give you a decent kick drum thump in the chest!

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2