Clear all

Novice question re using 2 effects pedals

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok guys i am STILL looking into getting a delay pedal. I am also looking at a distortion one as well.

Now then, let's say i have bought a Danelectro PB & J Delay and a Danelectro Distortion pedal.

How do i set up to be able to choose between the pedals...i have one electric guitar, an amp, and cables.

I really haven't got a clue so be gentle with me. And i keep hearing how an EQ pedal will help with tone ....do i need one of them as well???!!! If so, how do i do all three??

hhhheeeellllpppp

Matt

(@lucam)
Eminent Member

I have a distortion and a delay pedal as well.
I plug the guitar to the distortion pedal, then connect the dist. to the delay, and connect the delay to the amp.
The signal goes from the pickup, to the dist pedal, to the delay pedal and to the amp.
When a pedal is off, it is not working, and it "should" not affect the sound.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Some suggestions on what order to run your pedals: http://www.robertkeeley.com/faq.php#Effect%20Order . You can start with these, and maybe do some experiments to see if there's a different order which makes a different sound that you like.
When you say "cables," you mean the 6" or one-foot "patch" cables so you can "daisy chain" the effects, right?
An EQ is a good thing to have, for shaping your overall tone.
The Danelectro ("Dano") boxes are low-budget, but I think they're at least good to start with. (I've got about seventeen of 'em. :lol: )
Pedals that aren't "true bypass" may affect the tone somewhat when switched off, so be aware of that.
Rock on!

--
Doug C.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

as yu play more with the pedals you have your ear for tone will change and improve.
I reccomend moving up past the cheaper Dano pedals .
there are some really nice ones out there.

starting from your guitar use your long cord and plug into the distortion box. then a short cord to the delay and then a longer cord into the amp.

the volume knob on our guitar is important. I like sending the biggest signal into my boxes as possible.
that means volume up to full on guitar.
then set the output or volume on the dist. box along with the amount of grunge or distortion you want. someimes backing off a bit from full dist is good. your choice.
then go into delay. depending on what pedal your get there will be options from simple reverb to echo to long decay (meaning your note(s) will repeat endlessly or a bit as they fade out.

general rule of thumb:

tone shaping pedals first.
time changing pedals last.

an EQ pedal isnt always necessary. it can be handy, besides shaping your tones, because you can set an output volume level on it. then turn it off. but when you wantto step out louder to play that killer lead lick ou turn the pedal on and presto your sound is bigger, louder and tastier for your solo.

most over the counter pedals are not true bypass. that means each pedal adds a bit of white noise or some other nuanced sound. most people cant tell. true bypass is found on boutique or custom made pedals.
dont worry about that for now.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote