Skip to content
opinions on a minim...

Notifications
Clear all

opinions on a minimum wattage for an acoustic amp...

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dale_howard)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

....for an average sized bar type venue? i hate to be vague with the word "average", but just take it to mean anything this side large hall, or very open building.

what wattage would be necessary? 50-100amp?

im just wanting to disconnect my guitar from our pa, to save as much power drain as i can. and plus, i would assume the sound you get from an acoustic amp would be preferable to what a pa can dish out (at least our pa, PMP2000).

right now all we have is a two speaker PA system, and if i can kill two birds with one stone here, i aim to do it. just stuck on what size would be appropriate, dont wanna over kill it, or fall short. dont have a ton of cash, so ive been looking at behringers acoustic amps in the 45w and 90w range. so $179 to $270 is the target prices. cant spend a whole lot, cause im getting a fishman matrix infinity pickup as well....or else i could spend a little more and get a better amp.

thanks for any advice guys! first time poster here, love the forum....

check out our band's progress: Delta Mud http://www.youtube.com/user/DeltaMudBand

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

....for an average sized bar type venue? i hate to be vague with the word "average", but just take it to mean anything this side large hall, or very open building.

what wattage would be necessary? 50-100amp?

An acoustic amp? The minimum would be as much wattage as you can afford to buy and carry around with you. Unlike electric guitar, the goal for an acoustic amp is to reproduce sound as cleanly and accurately as possible. That means you want headroom (unused power) to avoid overdriving the amp. Personally, I'd advise to put the money into upgrading the PA. You'll get more bang for your buck.

Oh yeah - welcome to the best guitar forum on the net!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote