Notifications
Clear all

parallel or series?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@sadbuttrue)
Topic starter  

I am generally okay with the whole thing about ohms and power. However what I don't know is whether I am connecting speakers in parallel or in series. I have a 1200W stereo amp, 600 W per side. If I take one lead from one speaker output and connect it to one of the speakers, then connect another lead from the same speaker (in the connection next to the one I have just used) and run that wire away to connect another speaker....are they now in series or in parallel? Have I just connected my 2 (8ohm) speakers together to make effectively a 4ohm resistance.

If what I have described is connecting in series, what would I connect to what, to connect in parallel? (or if it is in parallel, what would I do to connect in series?)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

sadbuttrue

Here is a simple page that not only explains the difference between parallel and series, but has a simple picture too. :D

Series vs. Parallel

Most audio speakers (but not all) are wired in parallel.

Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel makes a 4 ohm load.
Two 8 ohm speakers in series makes a 16 ohm load.
Two 4 ohm speakers in parallel makes a 2 ohm load.
Two 4 ohm speakers in series makes a 8 ohm load.

An amp will roughly put out about 70% at 8 ohms what it would at 4 ohms. An amp will put out roughly 70% at 4 ohms what it puts out at 2 ohms.

So an amp that puts out 200 watts at 4 ohms will put out about 140 watts at 8 ohms. An amp that puts out 500 watts at 2 ohms will put out about 350 watts at 4 ohms.

Ohms is just resistance. The higher the ohms, the more resistance. I compare it to driving with your foot on the brake pedal. So, an 8 ohm speaker has more resistance to current flow than two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

I also think of it like a water pipe. More water can easily pass through a large diameter pipe than a small diameter pipe. So more current can flow through 2 speakers in parallel than one.

I hope this makes it simple. I had a very basic electronics course many years ago, so I barely know anything about this stuff myself. But there are some good websites you can study. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me can give more advice to you.

One last thing, NEVER operate an amp below it's specified ohms rating. If it says something like 500W @ 4 Ohms/350W @ 8 Ohms on the back of an amp, then you can operate this amp at 4 or 8 Ohms. But if you hooked two 4 Ohms speakers in parallel for a 2 Ohm load, too much current will run through the amp. It was not designed to handle this much current. You will most likely burn the amp up very quickly.

I have heard it compared to turning your amp into an electric toaster. :shock:

So don't do that.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is even a better page with illustrations of parallel and series wiring to speakers.

Series vs. Parallel wiring for Speakers

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sadbuttrue)
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes, no idea where you get to know all this stuff, but thanks. Got it now and the links were excellent

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I was never a "techy" type guy really. I played for years without knowing anything about amps, watts, ohms, speaker sensitivity, .....

But about 5-6 years ago I decided to buy my own PA gear. I didn't have a clue about anything. But I didn't want to waste my money on crummy gear. I am cheap. :D

So, I spent about 6 months really researching amps and speakers before I bought anything. I found some sites with great information like Yorkville, Peavey, Mackie and others. I also went to sites like Scott's PA Tutorial and ProSound, and speaker manufacturers like Eminence and Celestion. I found the information fascinating. I really did not know there was so much science to sound. I really got into it.

So, I don't know all that much. I can hook up a PA and get a pretty good live sound out of it. And so far I haven't blown anything up. :D

ReplyQuote