Notifications
Clear all

Peavey XR600B - No low End

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fred_moolekamp)
Topic starter  

I just bought a used Peavey XR600B Mixer/Amp and speakers with stands for $200 ... from a friend (so I can return it if I can't get it working). It's been in his attic for several years and at first it screeched when I turned the vol controls so I used contact cleaner on it and that cleared up that issue.

Everything is great ... has 800W and really cranks but there's very little low end. Even with the low end on the EQ maxed out there is no PUNCH to the bass even with 15" Yamaha speakers connected.

Any suggestions?

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Do you have good speaker cables? Sometimes people accidentally use guitar lead cables, and they won't help. Heavy gauge (14or 12AWG) will help.

Is the port in the cabinets open? If someone stuck a rag or extra pillow in there, the bass response will be off.

What are you using for input signal? Have you connected a CD of something with deep and tight bass?

That's all I can think of at the moment...

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

In addition to the EQ sliders, according to the manual for that unit there's a separate master low-frequency boost/cut filter. Do you have that turned down, perhaps?

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80370053.pdf

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@fred_moolekamp)
Topic starter  

Good Speaker cables ... good music source ...

I try to compare head to head ... I have a Yamaha 200W PA right next to it ... if I plug my iphone into the Yamaha and play a song I get the full response. If I unplug the speakers and iphone and put them in the Peavey, I lose most of the FEEL of the low end with the same song playing through the same speakers that I used on the Yamaha. I can get more raw volume out of the Peavey (800W vs 200W) but no PUNCH to the low end even with EQ low end maxed. The top end sounds great though.

ReplyQuote
(@fred_moolekamp)
Topic starter  

slejhamer, Thanks so much for the link to the manual. I looked for one earlier and couldn't find the B vesion only the 600C

... but with said, I'm unable to find the "separate master low-frequency boost/cut filter" ... am I missing something? I can't find in on the rear or front pannel. Is it a toggle? What am I doing wrong that I can't locate it?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ah, sorry for the confusion, it appears to be a channel adjustment, not master. The master controls are the EQ sliders on the right side, and each channel has separate high and low boost/cut knobs.

So, make sure you've got the lows boosted for the individual channels (with the knobs) as well as for the master (with the sliders).

And check all the stuff Laz mentioned, too.

Hope that works!

If you have access to other speakers, try those too -- that way you can see if those are the problem, or if it's the amp.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I just bought a used Peavey XR600B Mixer/Amp and speakers with stands for $200 ... from a friend (so I can return it if I can't get it working). It's been in his attic for several years and at first it screeched when I turned the vol controls so I used contact cleaner on it and that cleared up that issue.

Everything is great ... has 800W and really cranks but there's very little low end. Even with the low end on the EQ maxed out there is no PUNCH to the bass even with 15" Yamaha speakers connected.

Any suggestions?

That amp never has and never will generate 800 watts. Peak power is 130 watts into 8 ohms, 210 into 4 ohms and 300 into 2 ohms. That means your usable power is 91 watts into 8 ohms, 147 watts into 4 ohms, and 210 watts into 2 ohms.

Bass needs some power behind it to have a punch, and if you're trying to drive Yamaha S115V speakers with that anemic Peavey, it's not gonna drive very well.

Here's a link to the ownner's manual: http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80370053.pdf

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote