Skip to content
Pick an amp...THE S...

Notifications
Clear all

Pick an amp...THE SEARCH IS OVER! (I think...)

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If you had to choose one of the following amps (pretending that there's no price difference between them and they're not for re-sale!), which would you choose and why? Again, please attempt to ignore price and power differences. After all, bigger isn't always better. Just pick an amp that best suits your particular needs/wants, describe what those needs/wants are, and please elaborate in any way you can. (Sorry...this is not a surprise giveaway or anything...just looking for feedback... :| ) TIA! :D

1) Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed Reissue

2) Peavey Classic 50/212 or 50/410 (choose one and give reason for your choice)

3) Peavey Delta Blues 210 or 115 (same as above)

4) Peavey Classic 30/112

5) Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410

After a long and difficult hunt for the perfect amp, I've made what I believe to be my final decision (for this year, at least... :roll: :roll: :roll: ).

Despite the fact that I bought and received a faulty Fender Blues Deluxe (at a great price, btw), I decided to give the BD a second chance (and got the same great price, of course). I can't seem to pull myself away from that clean Fender tone! I played the Peavey Delta Blues 115 and liked it initially, but on second try found the clean to be lacking and the 15" speaker to be a bit much in the low frequency department. The OD was nice (and fun), but I've got tons of pedals to get the sounds I want, so decided that Clean is the first consideration. Also, the tremolo on the Peavey DB115 wasn't the greatest (IMHO). If I'd had a chance to play through their Delta Blues 210, it might have been a different story, but I failed to locate one.

I owned the HR DeVille 410 for 2 days. It was far too loud for my needs and the "Drive" and esp. "More Drive" were really awful to my ears. Even the clean didn't seem as rich and full as the Blues Deluxe to me. I returned it quickly!

I played an old Peavey Classic 50/212 and found it to be pretty good. It was an older model and looked like it had seen better days. Because I couldn't find a new Classic 50, I probably didn't give it a fair chance. But I decided that it, like the DeVille, was too much for my needs.

At some point, the Peavey Classic 30 head and the matching 2X12 cab became an option. I played through that briefly, loved the look of the cab (!), but again decided that it was too loud and big for me.

So far so good with my new Blues Deluxe! I love it and (Hey Roy, in particular...!) it doesn't seem as noisy as the first one I had...even with a Tele. Oh...before I forget...

During my grueling search, I picked up a couple of other items that weren't supposed to be on my list. Piece by piece, I brought home the Epi Valve Jr. head...(the old man couldn't mind $125 too much, right???)...next came the obligatory matching cab (another $125...what's the problem???)...and then, I dared to step over the line. (Yep...we had a doozy fight, but I think it was worth it...as long as I don't buy another thing related to guitars, other than strings or other necessities... :shock: ) On the same day that I purchased the new Blues Deluxe, I brought home a teeny little box that caused quite a commotion...the Orange Tiny Terror. :D My hubby blew a gasket when he saw that neatly tucked away on the floor of my vehicle, but only after he saw the price tag (which I neglected to remove...perhaps subconsciously... :? ).

Needless to say, I'm set for a long while. I love that little TT and I think it sounds great through my new Epi cab. I figure I paid about the same amount as if I'd bought the Classic 30 head and cab, but got more versatility by going with my Fender and the TT. OK...so maybe I spent a couple hundred more counting the Epi stuff. But I'm happy and, best of all, I made a decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And hubby has calmed down, too. Also, I go to register with a new guitar teacher today who, hopefully, will assist me in justifying all the stuff I've got.

Thanks to all who have read, replied and just put up with me on my seemingly endless quest! I'll try to leave you alone if, for some odd reason, anything regarding my amps changes. :|

Thanks and take care!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've long been fond of the Peavey Delta Blues 115. Sounds great to me. I like 15" speakers. It has tremolo built in, otherwise is very similar to the Classic 30. Downside is it's 10 lbs. heavier. Peaveys have a reputation for being pretty well bulletproof, and their customer service is great. I don't have one, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

peavey

I wouldn't pick any of those for myself peavey, but I'd think any one of them will give you that vintage-rock / bluesy sound.

peavey

There's a good discussion of the HRD vs. the Blues Deluxe here:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31561

peavey

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've never tried the others, but I do like my Blues Deluxe. Might be one of those cases where you can't go wrong.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I cab only tell you what I know, and I know I LOVE my Peavey Classic 30
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input so far! Here's the deal:

After many months of research and indecision I finally went for a Fender Blues Deluxe a couple of weeks ago. I got a great price on it and it was drop shipped to me from GC. (The terms "drop ship" and "tube amp" being used in the same sentence make me queasy. :shock: ) I received the Blues Deluxe quickly and it appeared to be brand new (never out of the box). I waited for 2 days so it could become acclimated to its surroundings before firing it up (actually, I was really busy, too, during those 2 days...).

When I finally gave it a try, I discovered, much to my total dismay, that one of the pre-amp tubes appeared to be microphonic (esp. when overdriven, rattles like broken glass and rings when tapped gently with a pencil). That wasn't too bad, but disappointing for someone who knows nothing of the inner workings of any amp. Next, when I attempted to switch from the OD channel back to Clean, I discovered that the amp was stuck in the OD channel! Now I'm upset. :twisted: I figure I got a lemon and it's obviously going back. And my search, although I love the sound and nearly everything about the Blues Deluxe, continues...

Yesterday I found an amazing guitar store (and a great friend to get me there, which is always a problem). They had amps I'd only read about, although many of them appeared to be used/dusty/beat up. I didn't even notice the guitars...that's how badly I want "the search" to be over. I actually came across an older Peavey Classic 30, a Peavey Delta Blues 115, a Classic 30 head and matching cab, the Blues Deluxe...I only had 2 hours to work with, so I concentrated on these 4 contenders. My new list is:

1) Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed Reissue
2) Peavey Delta Blues 115 (or 210...haven't found one to try out yet)
3) Peavey Classic 30 Head and 212 Cab

Obviously there's a price difference between the first 2 and #3! (It's nearly twice the price of the combos, which is still an excellent bargain, I think.) However, this will have to be a consideration. My thoughts now:

1) I still love the Fender, but I'm leery now, I guess. Also, it buzzes quite a bit when turned up a little. I didn't notice that with the Peaveys. The overall tone is great and I love the Fender tweed look. I still have (and adore) my Blues Jr. and I've never had a problem with it in a year and a half, so it's not like I'm against Fender amps! Roy (for one): how's the buzzing with yours? It seems to me to be pretty bad, esp. in the OD channel. Any trouble with yours?

2) The Delta Blues with the 15" speaker is just plain cool! I still prefer the Fender clean tone, but not by much. The OD is actually very good, and this one has tremolo to boot (as Ricochet mentioned). No standby switch, but that's about it. The price is comparable to the Fender. My biggest concern is tube rattle at loud settings...and I hate to let go of the Fender name for some reason!

3) The Classic 30 head and cab is obviously more versatile and could therefore be a problem for me. The next thing ya know, I'll be wanting to try the Orange Tiny Terror and who knows what all...However...it sounds fantastic and looks totally cool to me! Transporting it isn't an issue for me (other than getting it home!) and I have room for it. Hopefully one day I'll need to lug some equipment around, but not at this point in my adventures. One big bonus, though this would be my first go at anything other than a combo, would be that the tubes are separate from the speakers. Am I correct in believing that this will minimize my chances of rattling and/or microphonic tubes? Those things scare me as I don't know anyone who fixes stuff like that. :? Not yet, at least.

Any further comments would be welcomed with open arms! :D (P.S. Does anyone else find that Peaveys are hard to locate?)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

How high do you gotta turn it up to get buzzing? I'll go check mine. I've not cranked mine at all in months.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

rparker asked:
How high do you gotta turn it up to get buzzing?

Maybe 2-3 at most, and the Drive channel makes the noise louder, of course. I was using a Strat and I've read that single coils cause more noise with the BD (which seems obvious as they're not humbuckers!). Also, I've read others talking about the noise but saying that it's part of the fun. Not for me! I heard the same amount of noise from my defective one at home and the one I played through yesterday at the store, so it must be a trait of this amp, I'm thinking.

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

rparker asked:
How high do you gotta turn it up to get buzzing?

Maybe 2-3 at most, and the Drive channel makes the noise louder, of course. I was using a Strat and I've read that single coils cause more noise with the BD (which seems obvious as they're not humbuckers!). Also, I've read others talking about the noise but saying that it's part of the fun. Not for me! I heard the same amount of noise from my defective one at home and the one I played through yesterday at the store, so it must be a trait of this amp, I'm thinking.

Makes sense then. I don't get any noise when using humbuckers, but I do with my Tele. Kind of a hum. I've also get noise with my Strat, but much less. Not stock pick-ups though.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Blues Deluxe - for the sound, the sound, and the sound. :mrgreen:

I really really really want a Mesa Boogie though - but apparently they break down loads and cost a lot to get repaired (in the UK anyway) since few techies stock parts and repair them often. I'd also need a car with decent suspension so I cold lug the heavy bugger around!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Classic 30 ..... why? Cause I just bought one and was faced with many of the same choices. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote