POD XT LIVE?

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone out there using this?

Looking for some feedback before I go potentially buy it.

Specifically...hows the chunk? WIll it give you that gated/rectifier sound (I realize it won't be as good as the actual)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Greg

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you ask me, the Rectrifier sound is the one that modelers get most correct. For distorted sounds, the Pod XT (don't know about the Live, but should sound the same) easily delivers. When you're after lower overdriven sounds, the Vox Tonelab SE would be a better choice, IMHO.

ReplyQuote
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Arjen...

soooo...if you were trying to get closer to the sound of say: Nickelback, Godsmack and Creed, which way would you go?

G

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Before i mention anything else, make sure you try out both yourself. My ears might hear different things then yours. Anyway: If you would only play that kind of music, get the POD XT live. If you also often play clean, with mild overdrives or your basic rock distortion (blues, funk, jazz, pop, rock), I myself would go with the Tonelab.

But then again, there are people who swear their POD is better with clean sounds, and people who bought the Vox for the distorted tones. It's all how you like it yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I will definately check out both.

Besides the chunk, I am a big fan of the wet chorus/delay sound.

I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

PODxt is great for that stuff but the POD 2.0 (older one) i hear has better tones, just not as many features. I own the xt and it is great for high gain crap. Its got good cleans too. Better than anything else too. The PODxt and the PODxt LIVE are the same thing but in different packaging.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Maybe we have different ears, but the XT is miles beyond the POD2.0 (which is pretty much on par with the Behringer V-amp2) with every type of sound.

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

Theres is not one sound that my pod2.0 could do that my Podxt cant.
I kept the pod2.0 until I had all the tones I wanted recreated to a tee and saved on my xt before selling the 2.0.
The XT is far far ahead in quality compred to the pod2.0 both in features and tone.
If you are going to get a pod for best results use it either in the amps effects loop or direct to house system .

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

catcha

Gotta couple of questions for you.

Is there a delay when switching between presets on the PodXT Live?

Can that unit be used with lets say 2 or 3 footswitches dedicated to certain presets and then can you use the other remaining footswitches to turn effects on and off?

I have been looking at this unit for gigs. I want something where I can have maybe a clean channel. Then I could press a footswitch and have the same clean sound with an effect like chorus or flange, whatever. Then I could press a footswitch and have a nice distortion. Press another and have this same distortion with chorus and delay.

I hope you understand what I'm asking. Does the XT Live work like this?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

@Wes Inman

I dont have the XTlive I have the xt and my post was mainly concerning the quality reference POD2.0 Vs PODXT but to answer your question Yes that is the point of the XTlive as a package or XT with the floorboard controller , mine is used mainly for recording but you can save your patches as you wish and trigger as required ie Vox AC30 fully cranked with a univibe :D one patch and Vox AC30 with delay pedal as another and trigger via pedals , I did not hear any more decernable delay when switching than you would get with any multieffects unit.
In my opinion the PodXT is not perfect but is streets ahead of the moddling competition at the moment with a great community swapping tones & patches online.

But would seriously recommend trying thextlive out first as the sound is not to everyones taste , the 32 amp models are very close but not spot on , but there again it saves carting 30 amps to a gig and a few thousand quid :D :D

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wes: I believe there are two ways to use the XT Live, preset and manual. In manual the switches each activate/de-activate a specific FX group, whereas you cycle through patches in preset mode. What you wanted would probably best be archieved using preset mode, with each setting a seperate preset. Also, within some weeks the new Boss GT8 should hit the US market, might be worth checking out as well. (do I even need to mention the Vox Tonelab SE?)

These three should all be able to do what you want, but still have some major differences. With prices being nearly identical, good luck chosing the right one :D.

ps. How do you plan on amplifying it? I don't think any of these would feel at home plugged into the hotrod.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Catcha

That sounds like something I could really use.

I was listening to sound clips on my computer. I especially liked the amp modeling of Behringer, but read in reviews there is a big delay. If the PodXTLive can get those sounds without the delay I am sold. Plus, I like having 11 different pedals at once. This sounds like something I have wished someone would design a long time ago.

We have a Guitar Center about 30 miles away. I think I'll go check this pedal out real soon.

Thanks for the helpful comments. 8)

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Small sidenote: I own the V-amp2 and GMX212 modeling from Behringer, and I can guarantee that both Vox and Line6 have by far better sound quality. Behringer delivers great value for money, but there is only so much you can get for what little money they ask.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

I don't know why I missed your post before.

What I am looking for that I have never quite found would work something like this;

I might find a good clean sound of an amp I really like. Then I would like to step on a switch and have this same identical clean sound with maybe chorus. Then step on another and have this same clean sound with chorus and delay. Or I might have a certain amp simulation with three effects going. With one step I would like to turn two effects off but keep one.

So I would set it up for specific songs. I might have the same clean sound set up three ways, and maybe the same distortion set up three ways.

For the next song I might just Bank up and have that set up especially for that song.

That is the way I would use a unit.

Whatever I use, I don't want a noticeable delay. I think you get the idea. I HATE that delay. :D

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Wes,
A lot of people seem to have problems with the delay when they switch between amp models with these kinds of devices, but not when they turn particular effects on and off. I know my Zoom box takes a while to load a new model, but switches between effects almost instantaneously and has an immediate response to increasing the gain on a particular "amp".
When you try it out, try to take care to test it both ways so you get an honest idea of it's potential. To go from clean to distorted you might need to set it so you use the same amp with two different gain settings (or set the pedal to control the gain and just move the pedal). Or add a overdrive pedal model before the amp model, then switch the pedal model on and off (or turn it up and down).

ReplyQuote