Skip to content
Power conditoner: w...

Notifications
Clear all

Power conditoner: which devices to connect to outlets?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I'm having some difficulties in my head about Friday's gig. I bought a new power conditioner

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-MP-PRO-3500-Rack-Power-Center?sku=182651

and it has 3 types of items to attach to it. It has 4 outlets for "digital" items, 4 for "analog" items, and 4 for "high output" items. The high output is for tube amps. Got that one. But for live shows, I have these devices:

1. Vox Tonelab SE floorboard multieffects. It does have a tiny tube in it but I'm guessing it should go to the digital power input.
2, A Shure wireless guitar system in the rack.
3. A Honeywell 9" fan. Yea, just a fan to keep me from not sweating like mad. Don't know if it should go to the power conditioner digital or analog.
4. A Peterson tuner. I'm guessing digital.

Anyone know which power outlets I should connect these devices to on the Monster power conditioner? Getting short on time to figure this out in that the gig is 3 nights away.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would set the Tuner to come on right away, and the fan either to the second set or the ones the amp is connected to. The amp shouldn't pickup noise from the fan.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I just laid out all my stuff and figure I'm gonna set my wireless and power conditioner right up near my multieffects board. I'm figuring on running the fan, Peterson tuner & multieffects to a 25' cord reel into the power conditioner to the "digital" power cord input to the power conditioner. I just don't want to have an extension cord on each item to the conditioner.

The Fender HRD will have a 10' 12 gauge extension cord going to the conditioner. Who knows. I'm starting to get sick of all the stuff I have to bring to Friday's show. And I drive a Honda Civic so my ride will bit filled to the max. :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Oh yes the Inspiration of getting prepared, transporting equipment, setting up, and end of the night adventure. Brings back many memorable experiences from over the years. I moved a ton of equipment a few weeks ago, even had a couple guys helping and it did me in. Then set up and connect everything. I have to use an equipment layout and cabling schematic. Triple check everything, power up and forget everything I know till the next line comes along.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

I wouldn't run the fan off the power conditioner. Fans have attrocious power factors and if you drop the speed of the fan they will actually dump juice back into the line causing your amps to make all sorts of exciting noises (plug your fan and amp into the same wall socket and have some fun changing fan speeds). I'd run the fan off a wall socket and let all the nicely behaved guitar toys run off the conditioner. That way if you change fan speeds or anything the power conditioner will filter out all that ugly electrical noise and not pass it along to your equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well at my gig Friday night I didn't even plug my fan in. I was so rushed to set up I didn't have time. I never adjust the fan speed. I turn it on 3 (max) and let it go until the end of a gig. In that case would it be ok to run through the conditioner? For my Aug 26. and Sep. 19th I'll be running two fans because they are sticky outdoor shows.

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

If the fan is on and steady then I don't think it should make too much noise so it's probably fine. My feeling is just that since you don't get anything out of having the fans plugged into the power conditioner, why do it? Of course if you're working with limited outlets then you don't have much of a choice... Good luck at the gigs mate!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey fellow players, anyone else wanna chime in on this one? Like I said, on the back there are 4 outlets for "digital", 4 for "analog", and 4 for "high power."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use 4 inch 12volt computer case fans. A friend of mine made the mounting brackets. What he did was take a blank rack panel, cut the holes and drilled for the screws and mounted them to it. Their mounted to the back side of the anvil case's. They use a universal power adapter which I have plugged into the power conditioner. They pull air through the rack case's. The racked tube amps have fans in them from the factory.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

I would plug the fan in another outlet as Fluid said.

As for the others, I am kinda guessing here. I would say the Tonelab and tuner probably digital. The Shure may go analog.

You might send off an e-mail to the manufacturer of your power conditioner giving details about the equipment you are using (make & model of device), and asking their recommendations.

Yeah, it's great to have lots of gear, but it is terrible moving it around, setting it up, and tearing it down later. We played a small gig last night, I left the subs and my extension cab home. I try to take the minimum gear necessary. Too much work. :x

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Digital speaks in 1's and 0's. Analog is more like how we talk.

It's a toss up because you need to know what your gear is, digital or analog?

High output is stuff like power amps and such.

The Vox multi-effects are both digital and analog....... really.... they are, read the PDF. It also acts as a power amp with low wattage and uses a dummy load to act as its non-existent speaker. That was a very interesting read!!! From what I read though, I would hook the effects to analog.

I would read the PDF's for each piece of gear and then go from there.

I don't think contacting Monster will help you, unless you get lucky and they have a spec's sheet for all products made that can be hooked up to it.

Good luck, bud!

Mike

ReplyQuote