Clear all

rack cases

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@austinman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Santa brought me a great PA system for Christmas: Behringer pmh880s powered mixer: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Mixers?sku=631251

Also, gemsound xp350 amplifier for a little extra power: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Power/Amps?sku=481216

Santa spent much money this year, and so we want to protect our investment. Here's my question: What kind of rack cases will hold both of these units safely and without costing too many arms and legs?

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

This is definitely the time for used gear! Check your local shops. If you have a local company that does pro-sound installations, they may have some older racks.

Some shopping tips:

- Check for large roller wheels. Small wheels get stuck everywhere.
- Try to get both front and rear rack mounting bars. Rear bars are good for mounting power strips and "don't mess with it" stuff like limiters...
- You won't need a top opening, which should save you some money.

Good luck!

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@austinman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The Behringer mixer is a box type mixer, and so it is much taller than the Gemsound amp. Will I need a special rack or will standard sizes work?

ReplyQuote
(@austinman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

And another thing. I read somewhere that a standard rack space unit is approximately 1 7/8 inches high. Is this true? If so, my mixer is about 12.6 inches tall. Does this mean I'll need a unit with at least 7 or 8 rack spaces in order to fit both the mixer and the amp?

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I purchased a Unitec rack a few years ago. I added some heavy duty wheels to it so it would roll over rough terrain.

It measures about 3 feet tall and approx. 23" wide by about the same depth.

The front and back have removable covers to expose the front and back racks just like any rack system. The top has a removable cover also and is angled down at approx 15 degrees from the back towards the front. This allows for a mixer console to be rack mounted in the top at a comfortable viewing angle and also the lower section can hold amps, eq's, etc....

Here's some pix if that helps you see if this would work.

This is the front view...

This is the top view looking down at the mixer...

Here's a link to the brand site.

http://www.unitecproducts.com/_racks.php

On the web site web page, the rack pictured in the upper left is about the same size as mine. The picture in the lower right is actually more like mine in terms of design. The mixer would fit in the top while the rest of the gear should be able to fit in the bottom section. Hope that makes sense.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@austinman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Excellent looking rack cases. Stanks for the info, but again, if I have a box mixer that's about 12 or 13 inches high, does that mean I'll need 7 or 8 units of rack space?

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

well there u got a problem........its hard to mount that powered mixer. they are built tough so they do not need it anyway. If you really wanted to mount it in a case build one...........I personally have built all of my racks. I have two amp racks that hold 5 amps a piece i built my recording rig, i built all racks needed. Simple 5/8" birch plywood, some steel reinforcing corners, casters, butterfly latches, and a handle that works best. (basically i buy old SP2 handles) then i take it to a local automotive shop and have them coat it with that spray in bedliner.

That is an option.........its not that hard just got to think a lil bit. of course i'm a drafting and design major this stuff comes easier to me.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@austinman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I like the idea of building my own rack case, even though I'm no design engineer or carpenter. I've been searching the web looking for pre-fabricated kits that I could assembe at home. I've been able to find individual components for rack assemblies, but so far no one is selling complete kits. Anyone have a clue as to whether anyone sells prefab kits for buidling your own racks? If not, I see a business niche waiting to be filled.

ReplyQuote