Clear all

Seeking: Recipe for Los Lobos studio/live tone

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@67gretsch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone shed light on the elements of TONE used by Los Lobos. Their 'FAT STRAT" creamy crunch with distortion yet crip and clear at the same time.
I have tried to find interviews with the scoop, but nothing so far. :?
This sound is exactly what I want for my blues setup.
Thanks - 8)

(@prndl)
Reputable Member

A little searching on the net can help ...

http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/rev619.htm
For about half the tracks on Ashgrove Alvin plugs his Strat into the collection of old tube amps pictured on the back of the CD cover. Alvin's always had a great ear for guitar tone, but here he cranks the amps up high and lets the speakers strain a little, and it sounds glorious and cleansing.

http://www.vintageguitar.com/artists/details.asp?ID=208
Louie: Gibson was nice enough to give me a �60 reissue Les Paul goldtop. And I have an early-�60s SG Special. I also use a Squier Telecaster that I found for 100 bucks at Guitar Center, and it felt great, so Bill Asher gutted it and made a real one out of it. My amp is a Top Hat, which is kind of like a Twin.
David: I like those, too. Brian Gearhardt makes them, in Anaheim. He makes a single-12 that�s a 20-watt with 6V6s, but he has one now with 6L6s, a 40-watt. It�s a nice marriage of a Marshall and a Fender.
David: I usually use either a Strat or a Telecaster. I found a Custom Shop Telecaster, like the early-�60s, Cropper type � blond with rosewood fingerboard. And I�ve got a Japanese Standard Strat, and a Historic Series �58 Les Paul. That�s become my main guitar lately. Between those three, I take either a Strat or a Telecaster and a Les Paul. I just got a reissue Firebird, too. The amp that works is a �64 Deluxe and a South Tech single-12" cabinet with a JBL. I use that with a Hot Rod Deluxe, single 12".

My recommendation is to go to a vintage shop and try a 60's Strat or Tele into a blackface Fender tube amp - a Deluxe Reverb or a Champ. That's the sound you're looking for. Some of the 50's and 60's reissues are good too, but there's a lot of tone in the vintage gear that isn't in the reissues. There are a lot of luthiers and amp builders that are making exact copies that look and sound original.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@67gretsch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks PRNDL,

I happen to have a 67 Tele all original except the neck pick up which is a replacement.
The info you sent is great - I had seen some of this on line but not all.
I also have a MIJ Strat like Louies and a 70's strat too.
I will go further now to make the adjustments you found for me.
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

ReplyQuote