Notifications
Clear all

The right amp for me?

19 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

It ain't rocket surgery, that's for sure. But honestly, if someone is going to try tackling the inner workings of a complex electrical device without understanding some basic safety measures or at least have the inkling that such dangers exist, wouldn't we all be better off with out these people? If in fact the toaster oven hadn't killed them already. Every young boy should be given a pocket knife, those who make it to adulthood with all of their fingers get to be surgeons, guitar players and astronauts. This age of helmetted dunces has bred a society of children of helmetted dunces. I say; here's a screwdriver, here's your broken amp, here's the internet, see you on the otherside.

...um... I accept no responsibility for digital/falangial decorporation and/or death connected to electric shock or small kitchen appliance abuse. Always wear a helmet and follow manufacturers guild lines.

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Smaller capacitors on the board also use oils, particularly older ones and higher end reproductions.
I'd forgotten they made those, very old school. You know this stuff better than I do, just thought I'd try to clarify a bit for Legendaryk4, might of course have done the opposite. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Smaller capacitors on the board also use oils, particularly older ones and higher end reproductions.
I'd forgotten they made those, very old school. You know this stuff better than I do, just thought I'd try to clarify a bit for Legendaryk4, might of course have done the opposite. :roll:

That is why its a forum, to share knowledge and opinions...and opinions of knowledge. Believe me, Mike Soldano and Reinhold Bogner could give a forum on what makes a good amp and we'd all be even more confused by the time they were done. Let's just leave it at guitar amplifiers are packed full of lots of little bits that none of us fully understand!

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I seriously doubt that you need concern yourself with the filter caps on a Jet City amp. It usually takes years of neglect and actually NOT playing an amp to be concerned with them. There is an alternative to dealing with OLD caps in OLD amps that involve something called "reforming" that sometimes can save them if they are borderline by using a variac.

If the amp is used at least once every month, filter caps can and do last DECADES.

But be warned, voltages in an amp can range from 300V to 500V in the circuit! THERE BE LIGHTINING IN THEM BOTTLES! And it is still there even if the plug is pulled!

If you have ANY qualms about your safety at all, seek a professional to fix any problems other than the tubes.

IMHO, a tube amp sounds so much better than solid state and is worth the investment.

Preamp tubes like the 12AX7, 12AU7 etc usually last forever while the physically bigger power tubes like 6L6gc, 5881 etc wear out the more you drive them, I get about two years life out of them with hard playing. YMMV

BTW, welcome to the DARK SIDE!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2