Tube Shield removal in amp

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@timba33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

My new Champion 600 arrived. I want to reseat the tubes to make sure they are properly seated after the boucing around with fedex. The manual is useless, as well as Fender's website.

I'm new to tube amps, and was able to remove and reseat the larger 6v6 (power tube?) without a problem, but the other tube, the smaller 12ax7 tube has a metal shield covering it and I'm not sure if I twist it counter clockwise, clockwise, or just yank it straight off. It seems a bit delicate, and I don't want to break anything.

How do I get this tube out?????

Help me out wise ones....

By the way, this little amp sounds pretty good with my strat. probably better once that tiny speaker gets more broken in.

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I'm new to tube amps, and was able to remove and reseat the larger 6v6 (power tube?) without a problem, but the other tube, the smaller 12ax7 tube has a metal shield covering it and I'm not sure if I twist it counter clockwise, clockwise, or just yank it straight off. It seems a bit delicate, and I don't want to break anything.

How do I get this tube out?????

These should screw off. Just about everything in the universe (or at least based on British manufacturing of the 1700's) has clockwise threads. Well, almost everything - some things like gas fittings (your BBQ tank for example) have left handed threads to reduce the chances of wrong kinds of connections. That means, turn it clockwise to tighten and counter-clockwise to loosen. (righty-tighty - lefty-loosey).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@timba33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes, just had to twist harder. Had some black goop on the tabs that made it stick.

I was just afraid that if I twisted too hard or pulled too hard, it would break.

I'm good to go now.

Thanks. !!!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most tube shields don't screw off. They are pushed in slightly, turn a bit counterclockwise, then pop straight off, just like a "bayonet" light bulb comes out of the socket.

Some simply slide on and off and are a friction fit. Turning them helps to loosen them.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote