tube tape recorder as amp

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've heard that people are using old 60s tape recorders as guitar amps. They are suposed to sound very good.

I'm talking about tape recorders like this one:
http://www.nrhf.no/TB-8.html

ECC83, ECL86, EAM86 tubes and 3W output.

It would be cool if they sound good because they are very cheap, they are low-wattage and you can connect an external cab to them.

So, anyone have tried using an old tube tape recorder as guitar amp?

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

never heard of anyone i know trying this, seems like it would be hard on the recorder after a while.
if i already had a good cab i would just save for an amp :?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that's wayyy in the past ....ages ago.Just get a practice amp if you so..

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I may have done that back when. Long time ago. ;) I think in my case it was the amp/speaker part of a portable film projector - the kind that's built-in to the removable case of the projector. If they're really cheap it would be cool to try out, but only if they're cheap. If they get into the 'retro/vintage' thing and charge you an arm and a leg, then just save up and get one of the micro-watt tube amps they make now.

Also, if you get one of these old units, check with your local RadioShack or radio component store (or online radio hobbyist site) to see if you can get tubes to replace the ones that are in there. They're probably at least 30 years old by now and they're most likely not on the 'A' list of replacement tubes for modern day guitar amps. You might even have to scavange for tubes from other equipment.

But it might sound pretty cool.

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok, maybe its a local thing. The brand Tandberg that is normaly used is a norwegian company.

TwistedLefty: I dunno about that. You can put the recorder in amp mode and then you should have a normal 3W tube amp.

DemoEtc: Ok, cool. Yeah they are cheap, maybe 25-40$. But since they are around 40 years old they might need some service.

This particular model i'm looking for that is known to sound really good have ECC83, ECL86, EAM86 tubes. Any of theese that are hard to find theese days?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

This particular model i'm looking for that is known to sound really good have ECC83, ECL86, EAM86 tubes. Any of theese that are hard to find theese days?

I just googled those part numbers and got a lot of hits. You might try that too; maybe you can find a seller that's close to where you are.

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah i've tried that too now. The only one that i havn't found a local dealer for is the EAM86, but that seems to be a "indicator tube" so maybe i dont have to change it.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Cool then! Have a go at it. Sounds like it might be an interesting project, especially for recording or low volume practice. If you have a chance, post some clips of what it sounds like.

Take care. :)

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm bidding on it right now, will know in about 2 weeks if i got it or not. Yeah it will be interesting, escpecially when so many swedes here says that they sound really good.

I will post clips if i get it to work and when i invested in a mic.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote